Aug 9, 2013, 2:32 PM EDT
If not for the strong play of backup Jonathan Bernier, the Los Angeles Kings — the 2012 Stanley Cup champions — may have missed the playoffs in 2013.
That’s no exaggeration. The Kings finished four points ahead of ninth-place Columbus in the Western Conference. In 14 appearances, Bernier went 9-3-1 with a .922 save percentage and played especially well in February when starter Jonathan Quick was dealing with “some ups and down.”
So…what do the Kings have in their new No. 2 netminder?
Well, Scrivens, 26, has started 28 games in the NHL, all for the Maple Leafs (11-14-2, .910 save percentage).
He also comes cheap, at a cap hit of just $550,000 (the Leafs retained $62,500 of his salary) for 2013-14, after which he can become an unrestricted free agent.
But playing behind Quick in Los Angeles, the undrafted Cornell product — which places him in rather stark contrast to Bernier, who was taken 11th overall in 2006 — knows he’ll have to fight for his starts.
“You’ve got to earn every minute you’re on the ice,” he said. “But saying that, the better you play, the more chances you get. Hopefully I can provide a good counterpunch when Quickie needs a break and hopefully I can force the coaching staff into a difficult decision in how often they want to play me because I’m playing well. That’s all you can do and that’s all I’m going to focus on.”
More Kings day on PHT:
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)