Aug 9, 2013, 12:58 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning have hired former University of Denver bench boss George Gwozdecky as an assistant coach.
“We are pleased to add George to the coaching staff,” Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman said in a release. “He brings a wealth of experience to the bench and we feel he will be a valuable addition to the organization.”
Gwozdecky, 60, was fired as head coach of the Pioneers in April after 19 seasons — and two national championships — with DU.
“I am excited to be joining the Tampa Bay Lightning coaching staff and am really looking forward to working with outstanding coaches like Jon (Cooper), Steve (Thomas) and Rick (Bowness),” Gwozdecky said. “The opportunity to coach in an organization with such highly-respected ownership and excellent front office leadership, as well as a talented mix of veteran and young players in a great community like Tampa Bay is the chance of a lifetime.”
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 17
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 24
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 6
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25