Aug 9, 2013, 8:59 AM EDT
Throughout the month of August, PHT will be dedicating a day to all 30 NHL clubs. Today’s team? The Los Angeles Kings.
After stunning people with their dominant play in the 2012 playoffs after finishing the regular season with the eighth seed, the Los Angeles Kings went into 2013 with the goal of becoming the first team since the Detroit Red Wings in 1997-98 to successfully defend the Stanley Cup.
Those injuries left a serious hole in their blueline, but it also created an opportunity for 24-year-old Jake Muzzin and he largely took advantage of that. The Kings provided themselves with further relief at the trade deadline by acquiring Robyn Regehr from the Buffalo Sabres.
Los Angeles finished with the fifth seed and Jonathan Quick posted an unimpressive 2.45 GAA and .902 save percentage in 37 games. However, Quick was able to step up in the playoffs and led the Kings all the way to the Western Conference Final before they were eliminated by the Stanley Cup-winning Chicago Blackhawks.
The Los Angeles Kings went into the summer in a difficult cap situation, which made trading restricted free agent goaltender Jonathan Bernier arguably a necessity.
They found a willing partner in the Toronto Maple Leafs, who provided them with a capable replacement backup goaltender in Ben Scrivens and a promising forward in Matt Frattin. Just as importantly, Toronto was willing to retain $500,000 of the players cap hit, which means Scrivens and Frattin come with a combined hit of roughly $1 million for the Kings.
They were also able to retain the services of defensemen Robyn Regehr and Keaton Ellerby as well as forward Kyle Clifford. However, they ultimately let free agent blueliner Rob Scuderi return to Pittsburgh.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)