Aug 9, 2013, 9:46 PM EDT
Push a separated rib back into place, and it’s safe to say you’re looking at some lengthy time off – eventually, anyway.
That’s what Montreal Canadiens rugged forward Brandon Prust did last May, when he suffered a separated rib and then pushed it back into place during Game 4 of the Eastern Conference quarter-final series against the Ottawa Senators.
Courageous, to put it one way. The Habs, dealing with the playoff inevitability of injuries, didn’t last much longer, losing the series in five games. Prust didn’t play in Game 5.
After at least a full month off to recover from the injury, Prust, who completed his first season with the Canadiens, began his off-season workouts.
“It depends on the injuries,” Prust told Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette. “Bumps and bruises might take a couple weeks, so you go lay on a beach and relax.
“But this summer, I had the ribs that I couldn’t do anything with for four or five weeks. Once they healed up and I felt confident with them, I got right back into training.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)