Aug 8, 2013, 3:39 PM EST
With just one year remaining on his contract before Henrik Lundqvist can become an unrestricted free agent, it’s understandable that Rangers fans are anxious to hear that their star goalie has been signed to an extension.
So far, that hasn’t happened.
But while assistant general manager Jeff Gorton didn’t have much in the way of an update on the Lundqvist contract situation, he did share some encouraging words today at Yankee Stadium.
“Henrik wants to be here and we want Henrik,” Gorton said, per The Record. “At the end of the day it shouldn’t be too difficult to get a deal done.”
As for restricted free agent Derek Stepan, Gorton was equally optimistic at the prospect of getting the young center under contract.
“We fully expect to have something by the time we’re in camp,” said Gorton.
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 5
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 5
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 33
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 46
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Harding’s diving save highlights Wild’s win 5
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (46)
- Video: Malkin, Penguins win wild, controversial one over Leafs (40)
- ‘It’s like Groundhog Day’: Schneider frustrated about backing up Brodeur (35)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)