Aug 8, 2013, 3:39 PM EST
With just one year remaining on his contract before Henrik Lundqvist can become an unrestricted free agent, it’s understandable that Rangers fans are anxious to hear that their star goalie has been signed to an extension.
So far, that hasn’t happened.
But while assistant general manager Jeff Gorton didn’t have much in the way of an update on the Lundqvist contract situation, he did share some encouraging words today at Yankee Stadium.
“Henrik wants to be here and we want Henrik,” Gorton said, per The Record. “At the end of the day it shouldn’t be too difficult to get a deal done.”
As for restricted free agent Derek Stepan, Gorton was equally optimistic at the prospect of getting the young center under contract.
“We fully expect to have something by the time we’re in camp,” said Gorton.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 21
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)