Aug 8, 2013, 3:39 PM EDT
With just one year remaining on his contract before Henrik Lundqvist can become an unrestricted free agent, it’s understandable that Rangers fans are anxious to hear that their star goalie has been signed to an extension.
So far, that hasn’t happened.
But while assistant general manager Jeff Gorton didn’t have much in the way of an update on the Lundqvist contract situation, he did share some encouraging words today at Yankee Stadium.
“Henrik wants to be here and we want Henrik,” Gorton said, per The Record. “At the end of the day it shouldn’t be too difficult to get a deal done.”
As for restricted free agent Derek Stepan, Gorton was equally optimistic at the prospect of getting the young center under contract.
“We fully expect to have something by the time we’re in camp,” said Gorton.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)