Aug 8, 2013, 6:42 PM EDT
While John Tavares is finally getting well-deserved recognition as an elite NHL forward, his New York Islanders running mate Matt Moulson remains a hidden gem for most. Perhaps that explains why the 29-year-old goal-scoring machine seems primed to play out his upcoming contract year, then.
The former ninth-round pick (263rd overall in 2003) told New York Newsday’s Arthur Staple on Thursday that there haven’t been any talks about a contract extension. Moulson said the subject “isn’t on his radar.”
“That’s what I pay my agent for,” Moulson said. “I’m going to try to help this team win games and make sure my mind’s on that.”
The good news for anxious Islanders fans is that Moulson’s agent could very well agree to an extension while Moulson focuses on the hockey aspect exclusively. (Although playing out the year seems more lucrative and likely.)
Either way, he could be line for a healthy raise from his current bargain $3.13 million cap hit. Before the abbreviated 2013 season, Moulson generated three consecutive 30+ goal seasons.
He was a touch off that pace with 15 goals in 47 games last season, yet his 9.7 shooting percentage was shy of his career 13.7 mark. More games and added puck luck could help him generate an impressive contract year and a robust raise.
Yet, as you can see from the Islanders salary structure, GM Garth Snow is developing a knack for signing players to team-friendly deals … especially since the team bought out Rick DiPietro.
Whether retaining Moulson costs a pretty penny or not, it’s likely that the Islanders are still glad they heeded Tavares’ advice to give his buddy a shot years ago.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)