Aug 8, 2013, 6:42 PM EST
While John Tavares is finally getting well-deserved recognition as an elite NHL forward, his New York Islanders running mate Matt Moulson remains a hidden gem for most. Perhaps that explains why the 29-year-old goal-scoring machine seems primed to play out his upcoming contract year, then.
The former ninth-round pick (263rd overall in 2003) told New York Newsday’s Arthur Staple on Thursday that there haven’t been any talks about a contract extension. Moulson said the subject “isn’t on his radar.”
“That’s what I pay my agent for,” Moulson said. “I’m going to try to help this team win games and make sure my mind’s on that.”
The good news for anxious Islanders fans is that Moulson’s agent could very well agree to an extension while Moulson focuses on the hockey aspect exclusively. (Although playing out the year seems more lucrative and likely.)
Either way, he could be line for a healthy raise from his current bargain $3.13 million cap hit. Before the abbreviated 2013 season, Moulson generated three consecutive 30+ goal seasons.
He was a touch off that pace with 15 goals in 47 games last season, yet his 9.7 shooting percentage was shy of his career 13.7 mark. More games and added puck luck could help him generate an impressive contract year and a robust raise.
Yet, as you can see from the Islanders salary structure, GM Garth Snow is developing a knack for signing players to team-friendly deals … especially since the team bought out Rick DiPietro.
Whether retaining Moulson costs a pretty penny or not, it’s likely that the Islanders are still glad they heeded Tavares’ advice to give his buddy a shot years ago.
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 0
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 9
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 7
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 6
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 20
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)