Aug 8, 2013, 7:57 PM EST
Bruce McNall faced some dark times in recent years, but he can still look back fondly at his time as the owner of the Los Angeles Kings, most notably engineering the Wayne Gretzky trade that shocked – and forever altered – the hockey world.
The interview covers many of the bases (like the outrage displayed by then-Edmonton Oilers head coach Glen Sather), but McNall’s description of Gretzky’s introductory press conference ranks among the highlights:
“It was a bit surreal. Having come back from the Edmonton press conference, which was very emotional, I didn’t know what to expect from our press conference because normally for the Kings, if you had a beat writer and some local TV station, that would be a big press conference for us,” McNall said. “So when I got to the chairs there, it was a mob scene. I couldn’t believe the attention we were already getting. By the time we got up there, and I did the announcement of Wayne, which at the same time debuted colors…and holding up the colors and having Wayne there, it was just surreal.”
McNall explained how everything “just exploded” from there, as Gretzky’s teammates asked for autographs, the Forum Club became a hot spot for celebrities and ticket sales went through the roof.
For more from McNall, click here.
Oh, in case you’re wondering if he still follows the Kings, here’s an unlikely photo of McNall attending a game (and sitting alongside Metta World Peace/Ron Artest) in Oct. 3, 2009 (via Getty):
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 29
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 64
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 37
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (65)