Aug 8, 2013, 7:57 PM EDT
Bruce McNall faced some dark times in recent years, but he can still look back fondly at his time as the owner of the Los Angeles Kings, most notably engineering the Wayne Gretzky trade that shocked – and forever altered – the hockey world.
The interview covers many of the bases (like the outrage displayed by then-Edmonton Oilers head coach Glen Sather), but McNall’s description of Gretzky’s introductory press conference ranks among the highlights:
“It was a bit surreal. Having come back from the Edmonton press conference, which was very emotional, I didn’t know what to expect from our press conference because normally for the Kings, if you had a beat writer and some local TV station, that would be a big press conference for us,” McNall said. “So when I got to the chairs there, it was a mob scene. I couldn’t believe the attention we were already getting. By the time we got up there, and I did the announcement of Wayne, which at the same time debuted colors…and holding up the colors and having Wayne there, it was just surreal.”
McNall explained how everything “just exploded” from there, as Gretzky’s teammates asked for autographs, the Forum Club became a hot spot for celebrities and ticket sales went through the roof.
For more from McNall, click here.
Oh, in case you’re wondering if he still follows the Kings, here’s an unlikely photo of McNall attending a game (and sitting alongside Metta World Peace/Ron Artest) in Oct. 3, 2009 (via Getty):
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)