Aug 8, 2013, 7:57 PM EST
Bruce McNall faced some dark times in recent years, but he can still look back fondly at his time as the owner of the Los Angeles Kings, most notably engineering the Wayne Gretzky trade that shocked – and forever altered – the hockey world.
The interview covers many of the bases (like the outrage displayed by then-Edmonton Oilers head coach Glen Sather), but McNall’s description of Gretzky’s introductory press conference ranks among the highlights:
“It was a bit surreal. Having come back from the Edmonton press conference, which was very emotional, I didn’t know what to expect from our press conference because normally for the Kings, if you had a beat writer and some local TV station, that would be a big press conference for us,” McNall said. “So when I got to the chairs there, it was a mob scene. I couldn’t believe the attention we were already getting. By the time we got up there, and I did the announcement of Wayne, which at the same time debuted colors…and holding up the colors and having Wayne there, it was just surreal.”
McNall explained how everything “just exploded” from there, as Gretzky’s teammates asked for autographs, the Forum Club became a hot spot for celebrities and ticket sales went through the roof.
For more from McNall, click here.
Oh, in case you’re wondering if he still follows the Kings, here’s an unlikely photo of McNall attending a game (and sitting alongside Metta World Peace/Ron Artest) in Oct. 3, 2009 (via Getty):
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 9
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 25
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 63
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)