Aug 8, 2013, 10:49 PM EDT
The most outdoor games the NHL’s ever done in a single season is two, but in 2013-14, they’ll roll out a whopping six.
To some, that sounds a little excessive, but league commissioner Gary Bettman indicated to the Canadian Press that it’s a simple matter of supply and demand.
“If you’re looking at it on a national basis, obviously we’re doing more,” Bettman said Thursday at Yankee Stadium. “But for teams and markets that want to host this (event), for fans that want to attend, we can’t do enough of them.”
While the 2014 Winter Classic in Ann Arbor, Michigan and Vancouver’s Heritage Classic serve as national games, Bettman made a point of emphasizing the local aspects of these groups of games.
“If you’re a team that’s hosted one, now you’re not going to wait 10 or 12 years to get another one back,” Bettman said. “(And) for markets and teams that haven’t had a chance to host it, this brings it more of a reality sooner.”
It’s pretty bold to think the NHL could pull off six, but Bettman implied that might not even be the limit.
“We’re obviously testing ourselves and our hockey operations department to make sure we can put on these six games. We’re confident that we can,” Bettman said. “But we’ll take a deep breath when all six are over and evaluate what made sense, what we can do better and whether or not we can even do more.”
Here’s the list of 2014 outdoor games, in case you need a refresher:
Jan. 1: 2014 Winter Classic – Toronto vs. Detroit at Michigan Stadium
Jan. 25: Anaheim vs. Los Angeles at Dodger Stadium
Jan. 26: New Jersey vs. NY Rangers at Yankee Stadium
Jan. 29: NY Islanders vs. NY Rangers at Yankee Stadium
March 1: Pittsburgh vs. Chicago at Soldier Field
March 2: 2014 Heritage Classic – Ottawa vs. Vancouver at BC Place
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 0
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 17
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 19
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)