Aug 8, 2013, 12:34 PM EDT
Today in New York, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman denied a report that the league is preparing to take over the financially troubled New Jersey Devils.
“If the suggestion is we’re going to take over the Devils, it’s not accurate,” said Bettman, per Rich Chere of the Star-Ledger.
Not accurate, perhaps, because a Devils sale could be imminent, according to The Record’s Tom Gulitti.
While it’s tempting to compare the Devils’ ownership situation to that of another problem NHL franchise, the Phoenix Coyotes, it’s not really appropriate to do so.
The big difference between the two situations is that relocation was only an option for the Coyotes. The Devils, by all indications, are staying put in Newark. What’s really needed in New Jersey is a deep-pocketed ownership group that can haul the club out of debt.
CSN Philly has more on the story, with a quote from deputy commissioner Bill Daly — “…to the extent it suggests that league is intending to take over the club, it is inaccurate” — as well as one NHL governor who says there are buyers for the Devils.
- Will winning trump revenge tonight? 0
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 5
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 6
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 32
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)