Aug 8, 2013, 12:34 PM EDT
Today in New York, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman denied a report that the league is preparing to take over the financially troubled New Jersey Devils.
“If the suggestion is we’re going to take over the Devils, it’s not accurate,” said Bettman, per Rich Chere of the Star-Ledger.
Not accurate, perhaps, because a Devils sale could be imminent, according to The Record’s Tom Gulitti.
While it’s tempting to compare the Devils’ ownership situation to that of another problem NHL franchise, the Phoenix Coyotes, it’s not really appropriate to do so.
The big difference between the two situations is that relocation was only an option for the Coyotes. The Devils, by all indications, are staying put in Newark. What’s really needed in New Jersey is a deep-pocketed ownership group that can haul the club out of debt.
CSN Philly has more on the story, with a quote from deputy commissioner Bill Daly — “…to the extent it suggests that league is intending to take over the club, it is inaccurate” — as well as one NHL governor who says there are buyers for the Devils.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)