Aug 7, 2013, 12:53 PM EST
Former referee Terry Gregson has retired from his role as the NHL’s Senior Vice President and Director of Officiating, the league announced today.
Gregson was named to the position in 2009 following an officiating career that included 1,427 regular-season and 158 playoff games. The 59-year-old will still be involved as a league consultant.
“Terry had the unique ability to expertly manage the 78-man NHL officiating team,” said Colin Campbell, NHL Senior Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations. “His tireless efforts behind the scenes to ensure that NHL officiating was the best it could be on a nightly basis were seldom recognized publicly, but we greatly appreciate his dedication to the game both on and off the ice for the past 33 years. We are also pleased that he has agreed to continue to work with the Officiating Department on various projects.”
Replacing Gregson will be Stephen Walkom, who held the position from 2005 to 2009 before returning to the ice.
Walkom will be “leaving the ice effective immediately” to take over Gregson’s role, according to the league.
“We are fortunate to have someone with Stephen’s on- and off-ice experience ready to step in to this position,” said Campbell. “From 2005 to 2009, Stephen provided tremendous direction and guidance to our team of officials as the League implemented several rule changes that brought more flow and speed to our game. That management experience, combined with the fact that he has been back on the ice as a referee for the last four years, will be of tremendous benefit to the League and the game.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)