Aug 7, 2013, 12:53 PM EDT
Former referee Terry Gregson has retired from his role as the NHL’s Senior Vice President and Director of Officiating, the league announced today.
Gregson was named to the position in 2009 following an officiating career that included 1,427 regular-season and 158 playoff games. The 59-year-old will still be involved as a league consultant.
“Terry had the unique ability to expertly manage the 78-man NHL officiating team,” said Colin Campbell, NHL Senior Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations. “His tireless efforts behind the scenes to ensure that NHL officiating was the best it could be on a nightly basis were seldom recognized publicly, but we greatly appreciate his dedication to the game both on and off the ice for the past 33 years. We are also pleased that he has agreed to continue to work with the Officiating Department on various projects.”
Replacing Gregson will be Stephen Walkom, who held the position from 2005 to 2009 before returning to the ice.
Walkom will be “leaving the ice effective immediately” to take over Gregson’s role, according to the league.
“We are fortunate to have someone with Stephen’s on- and off-ice experience ready to step in to this position,” said Campbell. “From 2005 to 2009, Stephen provided tremendous direction and guidance to our team of officials as the League implemented several rule changes that brought more flow and speed to our game. That management experience, combined with the fact that he has been back on the ice as a referee for the last four years, will be of tremendous benefit to the League and the game.”
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)