Aug 7, 2013, 12:53 PM EDT
Former referee Terry Gregson has retired from his role as the NHL’s Senior Vice President and Director of Officiating, the league announced today.
Gregson was named to the position in 2009 following an officiating career that included 1,427 regular-season and 158 playoff games. The 59-year-old will still be involved as a league consultant.
“Terry had the unique ability to expertly manage the 78-man NHL officiating team,” said Colin Campbell, NHL Senior Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations. “His tireless efforts behind the scenes to ensure that NHL officiating was the best it could be on a nightly basis were seldom recognized publicly, but we greatly appreciate his dedication to the game both on and off the ice for the past 33 years. We are also pleased that he has agreed to continue to work with the Officiating Department on various projects.”
Replacing Gregson will be Stephen Walkom, who held the position from 2005 to 2009 before returning to the ice.
Walkom will be “leaving the ice effective immediately” to take over Gregson’s role, according to the league.
“We are fortunate to have someone with Stephen’s on- and off-ice experience ready to step in to this position,” said Campbell. “From 2005 to 2009, Stephen provided tremendous direction and guidance to our team of officials as the League implemented several rule changes that brought more flow and speed to our game. That management experience, combined with the fact that he has been back on the ice as a referee for the last four years, will be of tremendous benefit to the League and the game.”
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)