Aug 7, 2013, 12:53 PM EDT
Former referee Terry Gregson has retired from his role as the NHL’s Senior Vice President and Director of Officiating, the league announced today.
Gregson was named to the position in 2009 following an officiating career that included 1,427 regular-season and 158 playoff games. The 59-year-old will still be involved as a league consultant.
“Terry had the unique ability to expertly manage the 78-man NHL officiating team,” said Colin Campbell, NHL Senior Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations. “His tireless efforts behind the scenes to ensure that NHL officiating was the best it could be on a nightly basis were seldom recognized publicly, but we greatly appreciate his dedication to the game both on and off the ice for the past 33 years. We are also pleased that he has agreed to continue to work with the Officiating Department on various projects.”
Replacing Gregson will be Stephen Walkom, who held the position from 2005 to 2009 before returning to the ice.
Walkom will be “leaving the ice effective immediately” to take over Gregson’s role, according to the league.
“We are fortunate to have someone with Stephen’s on- and off-ice experience ready to step in to this position,” said Campbell. “From 2005 to 2009, Stephen provided tremendous direction and guidance to our team of officials as the League implemented several rule changes that brought more flow and speed to our game. That management experience, combined with the fact that he has been back on the ice as a referee for the last four years, will be of tremendous benefit to the League and the game.”
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 1
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 4
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 26
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 41
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)