Aug 7, 2013, 4:09 PM EST
Former NHL player Steve Ludzik remains convinced that he developed Parkinson’s disease as a result of his hockey career.
On Tuesday, the 52-year-old reiterated his claim to the National Post, and said his doctors generally agree with his conclusion.
“They say they can’t prove it, and they can’t not prove it,” Ludzik said. “But it’s likely this is from damage to the head.”
Ludzik played 424 games in the NHL, most of them for the Chicago Blackhawks. During his playing career, he took countless hits.
“I remember going to the bench and I couldn’t remember which town I was in,” Ludzik told QMI Agency last year. “You never said anything (about concussions) because you wanted to keep your job.”
He added: “I know in my heart of hearts (the disease) was caused by taking shots to the head.
“It’s not the fights. It’s the constant pounding.”
According to the Parkinson’s Disease Foundation, the causes of the disease remain unknown. However, according to Caroline M. Tanner (M.D., Ph.D.), “Traumatic brain injury — injury that results in amnesia or loss of consciousness — has been associated with an increased risk of developing Parkinson’s years after the injury.”
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 11
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 40
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 38
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)