Aug 7, 2013, 4:09 PM EST
Former NHL player Steve Ludzik remains convinced that he developed Parkinson’s disease as a result of his hockey career.
On Tuesday, the 52-year-old reiterated his claim to the National Post, and said his doctors generally agree with his conclusion.
“They say they can’t prove it, and they can’t not prove it,” Ludzik said. “But it’s likely this is from damage to the head.”
Ludzik played 424 games in the NHL, most of them for the Chicago Blackhawks. During his playing career, he took countless hits.
“I remember going to the bench and I couldn’t remember which town I was in,” Ludzik told QMI Agency last year. “You never said anything (about concussions) because you wanted to keep your job.”
He added: “I know in my heart of hearts (the disease) was caused by taking shots to the head.
“It’s not the fights. It’s the constant pounding.”
According to the Parkinson’s Disease Foundation, the causes of the disease remain unknown. However, according to Caroline M. Tanner (M.D., Ph.D.), “Traumatic brain injury — injury that results in amnesia or loss of consciousness — has been associated with an increased risk of developing Parkinson’s years after the injury.”
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)