Aug 7, 2013, 4:09 PM EDT
Former NHL player Steve Ludzik remains convinced that he developed Parkinson’s disease as a result of his hockey career.
On Tuesday, the 52-year-old reiterated his claim to the National Post, and said his doctors generally agree with his conclusion.
“They say they can’t prove it, and they can’t not prove it,” Ludzik said. “But it’s likely this is from damage to the head.”
Ludzik played 424 games in the NHL, most of them for the Chicago Blackhawks. During his playing career, he took countless hits.
“I remember going to the bench and I couldn’t remember which town I was in,” Ludzik told QMI Agency last year. “You never said anything (about concussions) because you wanted to keep your job.”
He added: “I know in my heart of hearts (the disease) was caused by taking shots to the head.
“It’s not the fights. It’s the constant pounding.”
According to the Parkinson’s Disease Foundation, the causes of the disease remain unknown. However, according to Caroline M. Tanner (M.D., Ph.D.), “Traumatic brain injury — injury that results in amnesia or loss of consciousness — has been associated with an increased risk of developing Parkinson’s years after the injury.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 0
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 51
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (54)