Aug 7, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
Some bizarre stuff from the world of Canadian junior hockey on Wednesday.
Former NHL star Doug Gilmour — currently serving as the GM of the Ontario Hockey League’s Kingston Frontenacs — traded away his oldest son, 16-year-old Jake Gilmour, to the Niagara IceDogs.
The full deal was Jake, goaltender Blake Richard and a conditional 12th round pick in 2015 to Niagara for the IceDogs’ 12th-round pick in 2015.
But, obviously, the talking point was the family connection.
Gilmour first brought his son to the organization in 2012, selecting him at the Ontario Hockey League draft — along with Owen Gill, the son of Kingston head coach (and ex-NHLer) Todd Gill.
It was a happy moment, as documented by the Globe and Mail:
Kingston kept it within the family in the later rounds, as general manager Doug Gilmour drafted his son Jake in the eighth round and Owen Gill, the son of head coach Todd Gill, was taken in the seventh.
“The Fronts proudly select Jake Gilmour of the Jr. Canadiens with our 8th round pick! #ProudDad,” tweeted Doug Gilmour.
Jake Gilmour was with the Jr. Canadiens and Owen Gill was with the Upper Canada Cyclones.
The younger Glimour has yet to make his OHL debut, spending last season with the Brampton Jr. B Bombers of the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League.
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 6
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 51
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 24
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 18
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 14
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)