Aug 7, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
Some bizarre stuff from the world of Canadian junior hockey on Wednesday.
Former NHL star Doug Gilmour — currently serving as the GM of the Ontario Hockey League’s Kingston Frontenacs — traded away his oldest son, 16-year-old Jake Gilmour, to the Niagara IceDogs.
The full deal was Jake, goaltender Blake Richard and a conditional 12th round pick in 2015 to Niagara for the IceDogs’ 12th-round pick in 2015.
But, obviously, the talking point was the family connection.
Gilmour first brought his son to the organization in 2012, selecting him at the Ontario Hockey League draft — along with Owen Gill, the son of Kingston head coach (and ex-NHLer) Todd Gill.
It was a happy moment, as documented by the Globe and Mail:
Kingston kept it within the family in the later rounds, as general manager Doug Gilmour drafted his son Jake in the eighth round and Owen Gill, the son of head coach Todd Gill, was taken in the seventh.
“The Fronts proudly select Jake Gilmour of the Jr. Canadiens with our 8th round pick! #ProudDad,” tweeted Doug Gilmour.
Jake Gilmour was with the Jr. Canadiens and Owen Gill was with the Upper Canada Cyclones.
The younger Glimour has yet to make his OHL debut, spending last season with the Brampton Jr. B Bombers of the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 7
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 12
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 22
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)