Aug 7, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
Some bizarre stuff from the world of Canadian junior hockey on Wednesday.
Former NHL star Doug Gilmour — currently serving as the GM of the Ontario Hockey League’s Kingston Frontenacs — traded away his oldest son, 16-year-old Jake Gilmour, to the Niagara IceDogs.
The full deal was Jake, goaltender Blake Richard and a conditional 12th round pick in 2015 to Niagara for the IceDogs’ 12th-round pick in 2015.
But, obviously, the talking point was the family connection.
Gilmour first brought his son to the organization in 2012, selecting him at the Ontario Hockey League draft – along with Owen Gill, the son of Kingston head coach (and ex-NHLer) Todd Gill.
It was a happy moment, as documented by the Globe and Mail:
Kingston kept it within the family in the later rounds, as general manager Doug Gilmour drafted his son Jake in the eighth round and Owen Gill, the son of head coach Todd Gill, was taken in the seventh.
“The Fronts proudly select Jake Gilmour of the Jr. Canadiens with our 8th round pick! #ProudDad,” tweeted Doug Gilmour.
Jake Gilmour was with the Jr. Canadiens and Owen Gill was with the Upper Canada Cyclones.
The younger Glimour has yet to make his OHL debut, spending last season with the Brampton Jr. B Bombers of the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 35
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 44
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 52
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)