Aug 7, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
Some bizarre stuff from the world of Canadian junior hockey on Wednesday.
Former NHL star Doug Gilmour — currently serving as the GM of the Ontario Hockey League’s Kingston Frontenacs — traded away his oldest son, 16-year-old Jake Gilmour, to the Niagara IceDogs.
The full deal was Jake, goaltender Blake Richard and a conditional 12th round pick in 2015 to Niagara for the IceDogs’ 12th-round pick in 2015.
But, obviously, the talking point was the family connection.
Gilmour first brought his son to the organization in 2012, selecting him at the Ontario Hockey League draft — along with Owen Gill, the son of Kingston head coach (and ex-NHLer) Todd Gill.
It was a happy moment, as documented by the Globe and Mail:
Kingston kept it within the family in the later rounds, as general manager Doug Gilmour drafted his son Jake in the eighth round and Owen Gill, the son of head coach Todd Gill, was taken in the seventh.
“The Fronts proudly select Jake Gilmour of the Jr. Canadiens with our 8th round pick! #ProudDad,” tweeted Doug Gilmour.
Jake Gilmour was with the Jr. Canadiens and Owen Gill was with the Upper Canada Cyclones.
The younger Glimour has yet to make his OHL debut, spending last season with the Brampton Jr. B Bombers of the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League.
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 13
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 12
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 10
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)