Aug 7, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
Some bizarre stuff from the world of Canadian junior hockey on Wednesday.
Former NHL star Doug Gilmour — currently serving as the GM of the Ontario Hockey League’s Kingston Frontenacs — traded away his oldest son, 16-year-old Jake Gilmour, to the Niagara IceDogs.
The full deal was Jake, goaltender Blake Richard and a conditional 12th round pick in 2015 to Niagara for the IceDogs’ 12th-round pick in 2015.
But, obviously, the talking point was the family connection.
Gilmour first brought his son to the organization in 2012, selecting him at the Ontario Hockey League draft — along with Owen Gill, the son of Kingston head coach (and ex-NHLer) Todd Gill.
It was a happy moment, as documented by the Globe and Mail:
Kingston kept it within the family in the later rounds, as general manager Doug Gilmour drafted his son Jake in the eighth round and Owen Gill, the son of head coach Todd Gill, was taken in the seventh.
“The Fronts proudly select Jake Gilmour of the Jr. Canadiens with our 8th round pick! #ProudDad,” tweeted Doug Gilmour.
Jake Gilmour was with the Jr. Canadiens and Owen Gill was with the Upper Canada Cyclones.
The younger Glimour has yet to make his OHL debut, spending last season with the Brampton Jr. B Bombers of the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League.
- Risk Factors: St. Louis Blues edition 0
- Ryan agrees to seven-year, $50.75 million extension 11
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 37
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (37)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)