Aug 7, 2013, 2:24 PM EST
On Sunday, we wrote about the curious case of Chad LaRose, the longtime Carolina Hurricanes forward who reportedly didn’t show up for his end-of-the-season exit interview and whose future in the NHL appeared a bit up in the air.
Today, LaRose offered an explanation for his disappearing act after being tracked down by the News & Observer.
“I needed a cool-off period as opposed to going right in and blowing up,” said LaRose. “Nobody was happy we didn’t make the playoffs again. I took some time, cooled off, and then I went and saw everyone, talked to [general manager Jim Rutherford], paid my respects and thanked them for the opportunity with them.”
LaRose, 31, is an unrestricted free agent coming off a disappointing year in which he tallied just two goals and two assists in 35 games.
When asked if he had any issues with the coaching staff, Larose replied: “I had no issues with anybody. It was my own play. I’m accountable for myself. When the team doesn’t do well, I take it upon myself, to be honest with you. I’m accountable for everything. Not having a good season, not making playoffs — that’s on me.”
Where his career goes from here remains unclear. According to his agent, LaRose’s goal is to stay in the NHL.
LaRose tied a career high with 19 goals in 2011-12.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)