Aug 7, 2013, 2:24 PM EDT
On Sunday, we wrote about the curious case of Chad LaRose, the longtime Carolina Hurricanes forward who reportedly didn’t show up for his end-of-the-season exit interview and whose future in the NHL appeared a bit up in the air.
Today, LaRose offered an explanation for his disappearing act after being tracked down by the News & Observer.
“I needed a cool-off period as opposed to going right in and blowing up,” said LaRose. “Nobody was happy we didn’t make the playoffs again. I took some time, cooled off, and then I went and saw everyone, talked to [general manager Jim Rutherford], paid my respects and thanked them for the opportunity with them.”
LaRose, 31, is an unrestricted free agent coming off a disappointing year in which he tallied just two goals and two assists in 35 games.
When asked if he had any issues with the coaching staff, Larose replied: “I had no issues with anybody. It was my own play. I’m accountable for myself. When the team doesn’t do well, I take it upon myself, to be honest with you. I’m accountable for everything. Not having a good season, not making playoffs — that’s on me.”
Where his career goes from here remains unclear. According to his agent, LaRose’s goal is to stay in the NHL.
LaRose tied a career high with 19 goals in 2011-12.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)