Aug 7, 2013, 2:24 PM EST
On Sunday, we wrote about the curious case of Chad LaRose, the longtime Carolina Hurricanes forward who reportedly didn’t show up for his end-of-the-season exit interview and whose future in the NHL appeared a bit up in the air.
Today, LaRose offered an explanation for his disappearing act after being tracked down by the News & Observer.
“I needed a cool-off period as opposed to going right in and blowing up,” said LaRose. “Nobody was happy we didn’t make the playoffs again. I took some time, cooled off, and then I went and saw everyone, talked to [general manager Jim Rutherford], paid my respects and thanked them for the opportunity with them.”
LaRose, 31, is an unrestricted free agent coming off a disappointing year in which he tallied just two goals and two assists in 35 games.
When asked if he had any issues with the coaching staff, Larose replied: “I had no issues with anybody. It was my own play. I’m accountable for myself. When the team doesn’t do well, I take it upon myself, to be honest with you. I’m accountable for everything. Not having a good season, not making playoffs — that’s on me.”
Where his career goes from here remains unclear. According to his agent, LaRose’s goal is to stay in the NHL.
LaRose tied a career high with 19 goals in 2011-12.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (118)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)