Aug 7, 2013, 2:24 PM EDT
On Sunday, we wrote about the curious case of Chad LaRose, the longtime Carolina Hurricanes forward who reportedly didn’t show up for his end-of-the-season exit interview and whose future in the NHL appeared a bit up in the air.
Today, LaRose offered an explanation for his disappearing act after being tracked down by the News & Observer.
“I needed a cool-off period as opposed to going right in and blowing up,” said LaRose. “Nobody was happy we didn’t make the playoffs again. I took some time, cooled off, and then I went and saw everyone, talked to [general manager Jim Rutherford], paid my respects and thanked them for the opportunity with them.”
LaRose, 31, is an unrestricted free agent coming off a disappointing year in which he tallied just two goals and two assists in 35 games.
When asked if he had any issues with the coaching staff, Larose replied: “I had no issues with anybody. It was my own play. I’m accountable for myself. When the team doesn’t do well, I take it upon myself, to be honest with you. I’m accountable for everything. Not having a good season, not making playoffs — that’s on me.”
Where his career goes from here remains unclear. According to his agent, LaRose’s goal is to stay in the NHL.
LaRose tied a career high with 19 goals in 2011-12.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 46
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)