Aug 6, 2013, 10:39 AM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres have agreed to terms with restricted free agent forward Corey Tropp on a one-year deal.
Tropp, 24, made his NHL debut during the 2011-12 season, appearing in 34 games with the Sabres while collecting eight points.
A former Michigan State standout, Tropp was taken in the third round (89th overall) of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft and split time between Buffalo’s AHL affiliates in Portland and Rochester prior to making the leap to the NHL.
It was with Rochester that Tropp suffered a season-ending knee injury during the club’s season-opening game in October.
Tampa Bay defenseman Radko Gudas hammered him into the boards late in the third period, at which point Tropp tried to put weight on his leg, but was unable to skate.
Tropp suffered ACL and MCL damage on the play, and underwent surgery shortly thereafter.
The 6-foot, 185-pound winger was expected to be a third- or fourth-liner with the Sabres last season after impressing the club with his mix of skill and toughness during the ’11-’12 campaign, most notably in this scrap with Philly’s Zac Rinaldo:
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 31
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)