Aug 6, 2013, 10:39 AM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres have agreed to terms with restricted free agent forward Corey Tropp on a one-year deal.
Tropp, 24, made his NHL debut during the 2011-12 season, appearing in 34 games with the Sabres while collecting eight points.
A former Michigan State standout, Tropp was taken in the third round (89th overall) of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft and split time between Buffalo’s AHL affiliates in Portland and Rochester prior to making the leap to the NHL.
It was with Rochester that Tropp suffered a season-ending knee injury during the club’s season-opening game in October.
Tampa Bay defenseman Radko Gudas hammered him into the boards late in the third period, at which point Tropp tried to put weight on his leg, but was unable to skate.
Tropp suffered ACL and MCL damage on the play, and underwent surgery shortly thereafter.
The 6-foot, 185-pound winger was expected to be a third- or fourth-liner with the Sabres last season after impressing the club with his mix of skill and toughness during the ’11-’12 campaign, most notably in this scrap with Philly’s Zac Rinaldo:
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 26
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 16
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 37
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 8
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 44
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 105
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)