Aug 6, 2013, 10:39 AM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres have agreed to terms with restricted free agent forward Corey Tropp on a one-year deal.
Tropp, 24, made his NHL debut during the 2011-12 season, appearing in 34 games with the Sabres while collecting eight points.
A former Michigan State standout, Tropp was taken in the third round (89th overall) of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft and split time between Buffalo’s AHL affiliates in Portland and Rochester prior to making the leap to the NHL.
It was with Rochester that Tropp suffered a season-ending knee injury during the club’s season-opening game in October.
Tampa Bay defenseman Radko Gudas hammered him into the boards late in the third period, at which point Tropp tried to put weight on his leg, but was unable to skate.
Tropp suffered ACL and MCL damage on the play, and underwent surgery shortly thereafter.
The 6-foot, 185-pound winger was expected to be a third- or fourth-liner with the Sabres last season after impressing the club with his mix of skill and toughness during the ’11-’12 campaign, most notably in this scrap with Philly’s Zac Rinaldo:
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)