Aug 6, 2013, 10:39 AM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres have agreed to terms with restricted free agent forward Corey Tropp on a one-year deal.
Tropp, 24, made his NHL debut during the 2011-12 season, appearing in 34 games with the Sabres while collecting eight points.
A former Michigan State standout, Tropp was taken in the third round (89th overall) of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft and split time between Buffalo’s AHL affiliates in Portland and Rochester prior to making the leap to the NHL.
It was with Rochester that Tropp suffered a season-ending knee injury during the club’s season-opening game in October.
Tampa Bay defenseman Radko Gudas hammered him into the boards late in the third period, at which point Tropp tried to put weight on his leg, but was unable to skate.
Tropp suffered ACL and MCL damage on the play, and underwent surgery shortly thereafter.
The 6-foot, 185-pound winger was expected to be a third- or fourth-liner with the Sabres last season after impressing the club with his mix of skill and toughness during the ’11-’12 campaign, most notably in this scrap with Philly’s Zac Rinaldo:
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 45
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)