Aug 6, 2013, 10:39 AM EST
The Buffalo Sabres have agreed to terms with restricted free agent forward Corey Tropp on a one-year deal.
Tropp, 24, made his NHL debut during the 2011-12 season, appearing in 34 games with the Sabres while collecting eight points.
A former Michigan State standout, Tropp was taken in the third round (89th overall) of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft and split time between Buffalo’s AHL affiliates in Portland and Rochester prior to making the leap to the NHL.
It was with Rochester that Tropp suffered a season-ending knee injury during the club’s season-opening game in October.
Tampa Bay defenseman Radko Gudas hammered him into the boards late in the third period, at which point Tropp tried to put weight on his leg, but was unable to skate.
Tropp suffered ACL and MCL damage on the play, and underwent surgery shortly thereafter.
The 6-foot, 185-pound winger was expected to be a third- or fourth-liner with the Sabres last season after impressing the club with his mix of skill and toughness during the ’11-’12 campaign, most notably in this scrap with Philly’s Zac Rinaldo:
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 2
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 57
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 80
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)