Aug 6, 2013, 10:37 PM EST
Not very long ago, it seemed possible that the Phoenix Coyotes would end their days in Glendale. Now it appears that Jobing.com Arena could very well host a future All-Star Game.
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman didn’t commit to a specific year, but he told the Arizona Republic’s Sarah McLellan that it’s in the league’s plans.
“We’re going to do that at some point,” Bettman said. “I don’t know what the date is yet but it’ll be our pleasure to honor a commitment to bring the All-Star Game here.”
Coyotes alternate governor Anthony LeBlanc made it clear to Arizona Sports’ 620 on Tuesday that doing so is one of the new ownership goals.
“We have had the discussions with the league; that is part of our agreement,” LeBlanc said. “The time-frame is what’s in question because there’s a fair amount of work that has to go into it to ensure that the proper accommodations and (that) it’s not a conflict with another major event.”
One year that could probably be crossed off the list is 2015, as the Arizona Cardinals will host the Super Bowl then.
Bettman and LaBlanc indicate that it’s just a matter of time, though.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)