Aug 6, 2013, 11:24 AM EST
After 11 seasons in the NHL and over 300 games on his resume, Chris Mason is headed to Italy.
That was the word out of Ritten on Tuesday, as the team announced it had signed Mason for the 2013-14 season.
Mason, 37, spent last year in Nashville but struggled as the backup to Pekka Rinne, appearing in 11 games while posting a ghastly 1-7-1 record with an 3.73 GAA and .873 save percentage.
That said, he’s not too far removed from his best days in the NHL.
The Alberta native won 57 games for St. Louis from 2008-10, helping the Blues to a surprise playoff appearance in 2009 (where he posted a .916 save percentage and 2.34 GAA in a first-round loss to Vancouver.)
Following his time with the Blues, Mason bounced from Atlanta to Winnipeg before landing back in Nashville, the club he broke in with during the 1998-99 season.
This will be the second noteworthy European excursion of his career. Mason previously played with Valerenga of the Norwegian league during the 2004-05 lockout, capturing league MVP honors.
Of note, he won’t be the only ex-NHL goalie playing in Italy’s Serie A next year as Andrew Raycroft is currently playing with Hockey Milano Rossoblu.
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 32
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 1
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 16
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 27
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)