Aug 6, 2013, 11:24 AM EDT
After 11 seasons in the NHL and over 300 games on his resume, Chris Mason is headed to Italy.
That was the word out of Ritten on Tuesday, as the team announced it had signed Mason for the 2013-14 season.
Mason, 37, spent last year in Nashville but struggled as the backup to Pekka Rinne, appearing in 11 games while posting a ghastly 1-7-1 record with an 3.73 GAA and .873 save percentage.
That said, he’s not too far removed from his best days in the NHL.
The Alberta native won 57 games for St. Louis from 2008-10, helping the Blues to a surprise playoff appearance in 2009 (where he posted a .916 save percentage and 2.34 GAA in a first-round loss to Vancouver.)
Following his time with the Blues, Mason bounced from Atlanta to Winnipeg before landing back in Nashville, the club he broke in with during the 1998-99 season.
This will be the second noteworthy European excursion of his career. Mason previously played with Valerenga of the Norwegian league during the 2004-05 lockout, capturing league MVP honors.
Of note, he won’t be the only ex-NHL goalie playing in Italy’s Serie A next year as Andrew Raycroft is currently playing with Hockey Milano Rossoblu.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)