Aug 6, 2013, 3:05 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings have agreed to terms with one of their two remaining restricted free agents, inking forward Joakim Andersson to a two-year deal.
According to Helen St. James of the Detroit Free Press, the deal is for $1.465 million with an average annual cap hit of $732,500.
Andersson, 24, debuted with Detroit in 2011-12 but made his mark last season, posting career-highs in games (38) and points (eight).
The Swede then proved to be a key figure in the playoffs, appearing in all 14 of Detroit’s contests while finishing with five points, averaging 13:20 per game (up from the 12:05 he averaged during the regular season).
“He competes hard, he understands the game and he’s a big body,” Wings head coach Mike Babcock said of Andersson this season. “He knows how to play. You can put him on the ice, and you’re not scared. He seems to get points.
“He’s just a hockey player.”
As mentioned earlier, Andersson was one of two RFAs left unsigned — the remaining one is fellow forward Gustav Nyquist.
Nyquist, 23, is coming off a two-year entry-level deal that paid him $837,500 at the NHL level this season
The 2013 campaign was Nyquist’s second in the league and with the Wings. He had three goals and six points in 22 regular season games for Detroit, but had a stronger offensive impact in the playoffs, scoring two goals and five points in 14 games.
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 40
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 17
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 17
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 13
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)