Aug 6, 2013, 3:05 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings have agreed to terms with one of their two remaining restricted free agents, inking forward Joakim Andersson to a two-year deal.
According to Helen St. James of the Detroit Free Press, the deal is for $1.465 million with an average annual cap hit of $732,500.
Andersson, 24, debuted with Detroit in 2011-12 but made his mark last season, posting career-highs in games (38) and points (eight).
The Swede then proved to be a key figure in the playoffs, appearing in all 14 of Detroit’s contests while finishing with five points, averaging 13:20 per game (up from the 12:05 he averaged during the regular season).
“He competes hard, he understands the game and he’s a big body,” Wings head coach Mike Babcock said of Andersson this season. “He knows how to play. You can put him on the ice, and you’re not scared. He seems to get points.
“He’s just a hockey player.”
As mentioned earlier, Andersson was one of two RFAs left unsigned — the remaining one is fellow forward Gustav Nyquist.
Nyquist, 23, is coming off a two-year entry-level deal that paid him $837,500 at the NHL level this season
The 2013 campaign was Nyquist’s second in the league and with the Wings. He had three goals and six points in 22 regular season games for Detroit, but had a stronger offensive impact in the playoffs, scoring two goals and five points in 14 games.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 2
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 76
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 32
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (76)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)