Aug 6, 2013, 3:05 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings have agreed to terms with one of their two remaining restricted free agents, inking forward Joakim Andersson to a two-year deal.
According to Helen St. James of the Detroit Free Press, the deal is for $1.465 million with an average annual cap hit of $732,500.
Andersson, 24, debuted with Detroit in 2011-12 but made his mark last season, posting career-highs in games (38) and points (eight).
The Swede then proved to be a key figure in the playoffs, appearing in all 14 of Detroit’s contests while finishing with five points, averaging 13:20 per game (up from the 12:05 he averaged during the regular season).
“He competes hard, he understands the game and he’s a big body,” Wings head coach Mike Babcock said of Andersson this season. “He knows how to play. You can put him on the ice, and you’re not scared. He seems to get points.
“He’s just a hockey player.”
As mentioned earlier, Andersson was one of two RFAs left unsigned — the remaining one is fellow forward Gustav Nyquist.
Nyquist, 23, is coming off a two-year entry-level deal that paid him $837,500 at the NHL level this season
The 2013 campaign was Nyquist’s second in the league and with the Wings. He had three goals and six points in 22 regular season games for Detroit, but had a stronger offensive impact in the playoffs, scoring two goals and five points in 14 games.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 57
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 35
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 12