Aug 6, 2013, 3:05 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings have agreed to terms with one of their two remaining restricted free agents, inking forward Joakim Andersson to a two-year deal.
According to Helen St. James of the Detroit Free Press, the deal is for $1.465 million with an average annual cap hit of $732,500.
Andersson, 24, debuted with Detroit in 2011-12 but made his mark last season, posting career-highs in games (38) and points (eight).
The Swede then proved to be a key figure in the playoffs, appearing in all 14 of Detroit’s contests while finishing with five points, averaging 13:20 per game (up from the 12:05 he averaged during the regular season).
“He competes hard, he understands the game and he’s a big body,” Wings head coach Mike Babcock said of Andersson this season. “He knows how to play. You can put him on the ice, and you’re not scared. He seems to get points.
“He’s just a hockey player.”
As mentioned earlier, Andersson was one of two RFAs left unsigned — the remaining one is fellow forward Gustav Nyquist.
Nyquist, 23, is coming off a two-year entry-level deal that paid him $837,500 at the NHL level this season
The 2013 campaign was Nyquist’s second in the league and with the Wings. He had three goals and six points in 22 regular season games for Detroit, but had a stronger offensive impact in the playoffs, scoring two goals and five points in 14 games.
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 0
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 9
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 7
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 6
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 20
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)