Aug 6, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks have signed their two first-round picks from the 2013 NHL Entry Draft — Bo Horvat and Hunter Shinkaruk — to entry-level deals, the club announced on Tuesday.
Horvat, 18, was taken with the ninth overall selection, acquired from New Jersey in the Cory Schneider deal on draft day. The former OHL London standout was named playoff MVP last season — joining the likes of Corey Perry and Taylor Hall as former winners — and is currently with Team Canada at the U.S. National Junior Evaluation Camp in Lake Placid, NY.
Shinkaruk, also 18, recently wrapped up a three-year career with WHL Medicine Hat, in which he scored 219 points in 193 regular season games. Like Horvat, he too is currently suiting up for the Canadian team at the U.S. NJEC.
While it’s unclear if either will make the Canucks roster this fall — of the two, Horvat is more likely given his 6-foot, 200-pound frame — Vancouver GM Mike Gillis is excited about what the future has in store for both.
“I think they’re really highly skilled players and they bring a lot to the table,” he told the Globe and Mail. “We’re very enthused about both of them.”
Apr 21, 2015, 1:52 AM EDT
The Jets, and Winnipeg, feel the crush of defeat.
Apr 21, 2015, 12:55 AM EDT
Down 2-1 in the series.
Apr 21, 2015, 12:33 AM EDT
Another comeback victory for Anaheim.
Apr 20, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2015, 10:54 PM EDT
Devan Dubnyk produces his first playoff shutout.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:37 PM EDT
It drew a two-minute roughing penalty.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT
No call on the first collision.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:48 PM EDT
Will shifting locales produce interesting results?
Apr 20, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
A close-to-perfect road effort from New York.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
New Jersey’s only player who went under the knife this offseason.
Apr 20, 2015, 8:51 PM EDT
He needs some help, though.
Apr 20, 2015, 7:36 PM EDT
Sleepy start by Pittsburgh.
Apr 20, 2015, 6:43 PM EDT
His issue is an upper-body injury.
Apr 20, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
But will he be around to see it happen?
Apr 20, 2015, 4:49 PM EDT
Things can change quickly in the playoffs.
Apr 20, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT
He did share some buzzwords though.
Apr 20, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Upper-body injury for the veteran forward.
Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’
Apr 20, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
Was he talking about the Oilers? Sharks?
Apr 20, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
Corey Crawford will sit, once again, against the Preds.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (90)