Aug 6, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks have signed their two first-round picks from the 2013 NHL Entry Draft — Bo Horvat and Hunter Shinkaruk — to entry-level deals, the club announced on Tuesday.
Horvat, 18, was taken with the ninth overall selection, acquired from New Jersey in the Cory Schneider deal on draft day. The former OHL London standout was named playoff MVP last season — joining the likes of Corey Perry and Taylor Hall as former winners — and is currently with Team Canada at the U.S. National Junior Evaluation Camp in Lake Placid, NY.
Shinkaruk, also 18, recently wrapped up a three-year career with WHL Medicine Hat, in which he scored 219 points in 193 regular season games. Like Horvat, he too is currently suiting up for the Canadian team at the U.S. NJEC.
While it’s unclear if either will make the Canucks roster this fall — of the two, Horvat is more likely given his 6-foot, 200-pound frame — Vancouver GM Mike Gillis is excited about what the future has in store for both.
“I think they’re really highly skilled players and they bring a lot to the table,” he told the Globe and Mail. “We’re very enthused about both of them.”
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 30
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)