Aug 5, 2013, 9:06 PM EDT
It’s been a big summer for former New Jersey Devils star defensemen. First, Scott Niedermayer was announced as a member of the 2013 Hockey Hall of Fame class; now fellow blueline great Scott Stevens appears set for accolades of his own.
The Canadian Association of New York will honor him at its 34th Annual Hockey Achievement Dinner on Sept. 9, according to the Devils’ Web site.
While that award might not carry the name recognition of a Hall of Fame nod, previous winners carry immense prestige. That list includes Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Gordie Howe, Mark Messier and more.
Attending the event is costly – tickets start at $600 – but the organization has charitable aims. Here’s more on the event:
CANY’s Hockey Achievement Award Dinner is one of the key fundraising events for the CANY Foundation which supports New York based charities. They include Ice Hockey in Harlem, an innovative hockey program for less fortunate youth that focuses on providing educational opportunities. “We are particularly proud of the Dinner’s charitable focus,” says CANY President, Dean Keyworth. ”We support some great charities that resonate with our members like Ice Hockey in Harlem and the Terry Fox Run for Cancer Research NYC.”
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 38
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 34
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 30
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (40)