Aug 5, 2013, 9:06 PM EST
It’s been a big summer for former New Jersey Devils star defensemen. First, Scott Niedermayer was announced as a member of the 2013 Hockey Hall of Fame class; now fellow blueline great Scott Stevens appears set for accolades of his own.
The Canadian Association of New York will honor him at its 34th Annual Hockey Achievement Dinner on Sept. 9, according to the Devils’ Web site.
While that award might not carry the name recognition of a Hall of Fame nod, previous winners carry immense prestige. That list includes Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Gordie Howe, Mark Messier and more.
Attending the event is costly – tickets start at $600 – but the organization has charitable aims. Here’s more on the event:
CANY’s Hockey Achievement Award Dinner is one of the key fundraising events for the CANY Foundation which supports New York based charities. They include Ice Hockey in Harlem, an innovative hockey program for less fortunate youth that focuses on providing educational opportunities. “We are particularly proud of the Dinner’s charitable focus,” says CANY President, Dean Keyworth. ”We support some great charities that resonate with our members like Ice Hockey in Harlem and the Terry Fox Run for Cancer Research NYC.”
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)