Aug 5, 2013, 11:13 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning have experienced some severe highs and lows in the last decade or so, but they’ve always been able to rely on Martin St. Louis. Even if he’s often overshadowed and under-hyped.
At 38, it’s likely that the small star’s best days are behind him. At least, that’s the conventional wisdom, yet with the 2013 Art Ross Trophy in his back pocket, he might have a few more prolific seasons in him.
It all begs the question, then: is St. Louis generating a Hall of Fame caliber career?
Some arguments for St. Louis
- He’s taken the Hart Trophy once, the Art Ross twice, won a Stanley Cup and captured three Lady Byng trophies.
- St. Louis should finish his career with well over 1,000 points. He currently has 912 in 979 games.
- The sprite-like star has been huge in the playoffs, collecting 68 points in 63 career postseason contests.
- He’s been remarkably durable, as well. St. Louis played every game in 2013, and appeared in all 82 regular season games from 2006-07 to 2010-11, missing five in 2011-12. You never know when it comes to injuries, but that indicates that he’ll be able to stay on the ice and continue to rack up points.
- He has the great back story of being an undrafted free agent turned MVP.
A few counterpoints
- Few view him as one of the absolute best players in the NHL, at least if they’re limited to just a handful of choices.
- His presence on Canada’s 2014 Olympic squad is uncertain, fair or not.
- While the Lightning won a Cup and experienced a few deep runs, they’ve also missed the playoffs by a mile multiple times.
It’s possible that St. Louis could play quite a few more seasons, but even so, it’s entertaining to ponder his Hall of Fame credentials. Vote in the poll below and feel free to elaborate on your reasoning in the comments.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 77
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32