Aug 5, 2013, 11:13 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning have experienced some severe highs and lows in the last decade or so, but they’ve always been able to rely on Martin St. Louis. Even if he’s often overshadowed and under-hyped.
At 38, it’s likely that the small star’s best days are behind him. At least, that’s the conventional wisdom, yet with the 2013 Art Ross Trophy in his back pocket, he might have a few more prolific seasons in him.
It all begs the question, then: is St. Louis generating a Hall of Fame caliber career?
Some arguments for St. Louis
- He’s taken the Hart Trophy once, the Art Ross twice, won a Stanley Cup and captured three Lady Byng trophies.
- St. Louis should finish his career with well over 1,000 points. He currently has 912 in 979 games.
- The sprite-like star has been huge in the playoffs, collecting 68 points in 63 career postseason contests.
- He’s been remarkably durable, as well. St. Louis played every game in 2013, and appeared in all 82 regular season games from 2006-07 to 2010-11, missing five in 2011-12. You never know when it comes to injuries, but that indicates that he’ll be able to stay on the ice and continue to rack up points.
- He has the great back story of being an undrafted free agent turned MVP.
A few counterpoints
- Few view him as one of the absolute best players in the NHL, at least if they’re limited to just a handful of choices.
- His presence on Canada’s 2014 Olympic squad is uncertain, fair or not.
- While the Lightning won a Cup and experienced a few deep runs, they’ve also missed the playoffs by a mile multiple times.
It’s possible that St. Louis could play quite a few more seasons, but even so, it’s entertaining to ponder his Hall of Fame credentials. Vote in the poll below and feel free to elaborate on your reasoning in the comments.
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 0
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 10
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 24
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22