It’s official: Board of Governors approves Coyotes sale

Aug 5, 2013, 2:54 PM EDT

Coyotes shirts Getty Images

Finally, it’s over.

After four years of up-in-the-air status, bankruptcy court, and numerous failed bids — the Phoenix Coyotes have been sold.

The NHL announced the Board of Governors approval of the sale of the team to the IceArizona group (aka: Renaissance Sports & Entertainment). Commissioner Gary Bettman released this statement about the sale.

“The National Hockey League believes in Arizona as an NHL market and that these new owners can provide the Coyotes the opportunity to secure a stable, long-term future in Glendale,” Commissioner Gary Bettman said. “We thank Mike Nealy, Don Maloney, Dave Tippett, team captain Shane Doan and all the players and staff for consistently going ‘above and beyond’ on behalf of the franchise during this long and complex process. We thank the Coyotes’ devoted fans for their patient, perseverant support. We are extremely pleased that a positive resolution has been achieved for the fans, the city, the Coyotes and the League.”

With the Board of Governors approval, the deal the City of Glendale made with IceArizona goes into effect to help manage Jobing.com Arena and ease the financial stress of purchasing the team.

Of course, that city-approved deal also has a five-year out-clause that allows IceArizona to sell the team if they lose $50 million over that time.

While that might be a story further down the road, for now the Coyotes saga is at an end and for the first time since Jerry Moyes declared bankruptcy and attempted to sell the team to Jim Balsillie, they have a real ownership group in place.

1. jcmeyer10 - Aug 5, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Books are taking bets on the over/under on days before this falls apart too.

2. lonespeed - Aug 5, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I think the Phoenix Coyotes name is offensive. So much so, they should change the name. I would recommend the Seattle Coyotes instead.

• jernster21 - Aug 5, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Luckily for you, they plan to change the name….to the Arizona Coyotes.

3. thailer35 - Aug 5, 2013 at 3:18 PM

And with one swift blow, the naysayers, trolls, and their kinsmen had a big red “shut the fudge up” stamp pressed squarely into their foreheads.

Here to say. Hockey the hard way.

• jcmeyer10 - Aug 5, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Yes because that stamp hasn’t been made of washable marker before…

• westinpat - Aug 5, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Hopefully the team finally gets stabilized because it’s very exhausting to constantly read about their ownership issues and not about the sport. Everyone wins then, not just the fans who follow the Coyotes.

• jernster21 - Aug 5, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Here to stay.*

*For at least 5 years.

• comeonnowguys - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Congratulations. Coyote fans can now continue not going to games, providing extra home games for the rest of league.

That’ll show us.

4. timibud - Aug 5, 2013 at 3:24 PM

YES !!! There are hockey fans here…I drive 2 hours to see their games…& even though the big sport around here is baseball plenty of people show up for the games. I do feel sorry for the young ladies who show up in a summer dress & are FREEZING by the 3rd because they keep that rink COLD !!! GO ‘YOTES !!!

5. afrancis55 - Aug 5, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Get this damn team out of Phoenix, those fans don’t deserve this team they only show up for the playoffs, and even the ones that do show up know vey little about hockey

• timibud - Aug 5, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I work for hockey…No..it’s not Minnesota, but lots of people know all aboot hockey here…:-)

• endusersolutions2013 - Aug 5, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Surprised some clueless wonders have not flamed you about your creative spelling. I managed to get your point;)

• sporkov - Aug 6, 2013 at 3:02 PM

So, I know nothing about hockey even though I played for almost 20 years (into college), coached youth, refereed up through college levels and have been involved/watched hockey for over 30 years. Yet, I still know nothing about hockey. I am a once and future season ticket holder (only let them go because I did not think it was right to take a 19 month old and 3 month old to games). So, afrancis55, when you put everyone into the same boat like that it means that I should put everyone into the same ignorant boat as you, but I will not. Time to get a new hobby, Coyotes bashing is no longer available to you.

6. blomfeld - Aug 5, 2013 at 3:38 PM

AND SO THE DIE HAS BEEN CAST … FOR DISASTER :(

And that’s a shame, as it didn’t have to be this way. Having visited Phoenix at least 15 x times during the past decade on both business and pleasure trips, I can honestly say that I’ve never met even ‘one’ Coyotes fan … very sad and truly pathetic when you think about it. Anyway, the ‘show must go on’ as the saying goes. So good luck to you people, take care and God speed …

• jcmeyer10 - Aug 5, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Thank you for moving on from Elvis/Beach Boys.

• blomfeld - Aug 5, 2013 at 11:19 PM

back off Meyer … seriously

• jcmeyer10 - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Ah, I’ve drawn the ire of the most controversial man on PHT. I’ll admit, I like the flair of your posts, though I do look past your unrepentant devotion to the second best team in the West.

May the Bruins and Kings meet in the Finals. That’s the best I can do for you.

• thailer35 - Aug 5, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I’ll introduce you to some the next time you’re here then. And I’ll also bring my old English 101 book and go over the punctuation and quotation chapters.

• blomfeld - Aug 5, 2013 at 11:21 PM

F U trailer …

• mrpinkca - Aug 5, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I love Martin Sheen, but can we take a moment to acknowledge how terrible his southern accent is?

• blomfeld - Aug 5, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Achtung Pink !

I recall very well back in ’93 how Martin Sheen took ‘heat’ from certain southern circles for his portrayal of their beloved Robert E Lee. In addition to the ‘flawed’ southern accent, it was Sheen’s depiction of Lee as a ‘befuddled’ old man which drew the ire of so many, if memory serves me correctly ? Correct me if I’m wrong, you ‘fine’ southern folk … :)

• endusersolutions2013 - Aug 5, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Did not see the whole movie. If that general in the long beard was Longstreat, he was partially responsible for the despiration Lee faced on day 3. Longstreat was ordered to attack at dawn in order to take to strategic hills (Round Top and Little Round Top). He delayed and took a too cautious route, and came up just too late, as the union, thankfully was able to get critical reinforcements there just in time, after some heroric stands by the outnumbered union forces.

And I ask again, what the heck does this have to do with the article? I sometimes use examples from other areas of life that others don’t get, but at least I try and make the connection.

As someone who knows civil war history quite well, I flat out don’t get what you’re trying to illustrate.

• blomfeld - Aug 5, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Could ‘Enduser’ Be Retarded ?

Friend, the analogy which I’ve presented with my video offering above is as ‘plain as day’ and only a ‘simpleton’ like you wouldn’t be able to connect the dots. Your admission however that you “did not see the whole movie” tells me all I need to know about you and your lazy ilk. I’m therefore going to “stand down’ from giving you a serious retort and instead say FU and go ‘fall in’ with Pickett’s boys as they try to take Cemetery Ridge !

• girouxed - Aug 6, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Blomfeld. You’re an idiot and your comments are over thought and are usually ramblings of a very strange person.

• blomfeld - Aug 6, 2013 at 10:39 PM

F U too Giroux …

7. ethanmacleod1685 - Aug 5, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Congrats Yotes fans

8. x50cal - Aug 5, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Some if you people are very ignorant and I’m sure yourself don’t have a clue about hockey….if you were a true fan you would not wish anyone to lose their team…..I live in AZ, I know so much about hockey, go Yotes here to stay

• endusersolutions2013 - Aug 5, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Articulating generalizations about the “collective hockey intelligence” of a metro area is pretty “ill advised”. Thing folks not familiar with the Phoenix metro area need to keep in mind is all the folks who move there from somewhere else, not just retirees living in Sun City.

In particular a lot of folks have moved there from S. Calif due to the lower cost of living in part, others to escape the entrenched political correctness of Cal politics. Likely some hockey fans in the process.

So, AZ hockey fans, you have 5 years to show support and enable the franchise to stay there – ‘the puck’s in your court!”.

9. billyhauntswizards - Aug 5, 2013 at 4:37 PM

I’m glad they’re staying, but I really hope fans start to show up now. The Coyotes have been one of the most underrated teams in the league the last few years, they win plenty of games with basically no elite talent. Imagine if they get a true superstar? But not the onus is on Arizona fans…….show up and support your team damnit. They’re good and deserve it.

• tdrusher225 - Aug 5, 2013 at 10:52 PM

It’s not a hockey town man and It’s not going to get much better than you’ve seen.

• comeonnowguys - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:11 AM

“They win plenty of games with basically no elite talent.”

Ah yes, the trapping playstyle that makes people want to claw their eyes out of boredom.

10. rebekah319 - Aug 5, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Could not be more happy for the Coyotes to be staying!!! Was rooting for them for such a long time and the smile could not leave my face. I know what it feels like to lose a team and did not want that to happen to the wonderful devoted Coyotes Fans- Now on that note I really do hope that the building starts to see more people and it actually fills up so make it happen!!!!

11. endusersolutions2013 - Aug 5, 2013 at 6:25 PM

While I was skeptical, I hope it does work out. I think the improved stability, and likely bigger budget will allow them to attract good players. They have a lot to sign next year, so hope they get the fan support and thus the revenue they’ll need to compete going forward.

In the ideal world, they do stay and Portland and Seattle both get expansion clubs.

No, that’s nothing against Quebec or Metro Torronto per-se, just stating the obvious – the league needs to get to the place where the conferences are balanced, due to the current imbalance of Eastern TZ teams vs the rest of the league.

Eastern Canada becomes next on the list for re-loacating any SE teams that can’t make it without constant revenue sharing./taxation from the teams in healthy markets.

12. hildezero - Aug 5, 2013 at 6:54 PM

@lonespeed55, afrancis, and jernster

You guys are all dumb and I feel bad for all of you. You guys didn’t get no love growing up, huh? Lol. Coyotes are a better team than your teams. Go Yotes!

• jernster21 - Aug 5, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Avalanche: 2 Cups.
      Coyotes: 0 Cups.

13. proudliberal85392 - Aug 5, 2013 at 7:15 PM

1. thailer35: See you opening night? We’re in Section 107.
    2. blomfeld: Really? Not one fan? How about those of us who stayed loyal during this mess? You’ll change your tune when we triumph yet again in the Battle of I-10.
    3. haters and the uninformed: Deal with it. It’s a done deal.

• blomfeld - Aug 6, 2013 at 12:05 AM

ALLOW ME TO REPLY WITH MY GUNS LOWERED …

Proudliberal # 85392 – Though I like you friend, I do have to take exception to item # 2 in your retort above. Over the past decade during my 15 x ‘plus’ visits to the Phoenix area, never ‘once’ did I ever meet an individual who could give a rat’s ass about the Phoenix Coyotes! And I’m not saying that trying to be be funny, as that’s as true as the sky is blue! Whether I was with customers, business colleagues, fellow golfers or lovers, never ‘once’ did any of them say that they supported the Phoenix Coyotes ? And that’s truly a shame in ‘no’ uncertain terms. Nonetheless, I do wish you people well and may God speed to your enterprise … your friend, Blomfeld

• girouxed - Aug 6, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Why on earth do you attach some weird video to all of your comments?

• blomfeld - Aug 6, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Giroux (aka parasite) … kindly note my response to you above …

14. sergeikremlin - Aug 5, 2013 at 7:53 PM

The picture of the empty seats really is fitting.

15. proudliberal85392 - Aug 5, 2013 at 9:16 PM

afrancis55: How about if the league rips your team out from under you? Didn’t think of it that way, did you? I suspect not.

Love and hugs,
    Another typical knows nothing Coyotes fan. XOX

• blomfeld - Aug 6, 2013 at 12:16 AM

That’s Right Ivan !

We Kings and Coyotes are going to smash you commies into smithereens, because you ‘OVI’ lovers make us sick and therefore you’ll soon come to find yourselves under our heels of decency, God willing !

• comeonnowguys - Aug 6, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Was your horse this high when it was happening to Winnipeg 20 years ago?

16. hildezero - Aug 5, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Lol. So what?

Phoenix > Colorado

17. endusersolutions2013 - Aug 5, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Coyotes defenders. I’ve mentioned “the puck is in your court”. There are a lot of comments/cheap shots going back and forth about the knowledge of fans there. I’m not going there as I have no basis for assessing that (other than one lame jerk Coyotes fan who trolled on Hawks game threads all year and playoff long taking cheapo shots, predecting gloom, totally unable to probive any objective basis for his clueless pronouncements, only to be strangely absent most of the post game threads;)

Here is the objective reality you have to face and overcome, not with words but actions. Coyotes were at the bottom or next to the bottom in both actual attendance and % of seats filled. Hawks were at the top each year (not just 2010 and 2013). Now I know some teams play games with this, selling some season tickets absurdly cheaply and counting it filled if the holder showed up or not, but ultimately, the numbers are pretty compelling. Likely not making even the top 75% a single season, no matter how you may adjust.

Don’t flame me. Either you support the team collectively of you don’t. And the “don’t rip a team out from under us” is pattently absurd neo-socialism. Phoenix is supported by revenue sharing.

Carry your own weight, or hang it up.

Hawks carry theirs PLUS.

• endusersolutions2013 - Aug 5, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Meant to post the link

• DED - Aug 5, 2013 at 10:10 PM

oooo more stats! Thanks for the link.

• tdrusher225 - Aug 5, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Amen, not a single city doesn’t have a group of devoted fans who love the team. But a team that produces little revenue, has low attendance, rate very poorly on TV, has very minimal overall interest in the community, and are supported by the funds of the rest of the NHL, don’t deserve to stay just because their very loyal fans will miss them. That’s irresponsibility at its highest level.

18. sharksfan97 - Aug 5, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I was hoping to see this franchise move to Portland, Ore. Great sports town. Franchise ready arena. I believe relocation of struggling franchises is preferable to expansion. The product is already fairly watered down, and keeping struggling teams where they are hurts not only that franchise but also spills over and indirectly hurts other clubs, like my Sharks, with such issues like revenue sharing and keeping the cap too low.

• endusersolutions2013 - Aug 5, 2013 at 11:11 PM

When yoou say “watered down”, what’s your basis for this? Do you realize that in the 60’s, players from the USA were a rarity? Hockey has taken off, and there is a far deeper and more “developed” pool of players to choose from.

Now did the NHL expand too quickly along the line? Perhaps. And it may well be that the growth in “total player pool” has caught up with the level of expansion. Probably the biggest “dilution” occurred when the NHL went from 6 to 12.

Maybe I’m missing something.

19. hildezero - Aug 6, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Who cares about you’re f*ckin visits, man! Lol.

20. proudliberal85392 - Aug 6, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Hey, blomfeld! Yankin’ your chain, buddy. Prepare to be humbled.

21. fiddytucker - Aug 6, 2013 at 2:26 AM

Like I said before, here to stay

22. reeggss - Aug 6, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Coyotes were second worst in avg attendance last year, fans should whining and start showing up to games.

• comeonnowguys - Aug 6, 2013 at 1:18 PM

And that was on the heels of a Western Conference Finals appearance! Unreal. They can’t even bandwagon successfully.

23. hildezero - Aug 6, 2013 at 3:44 PM

@reeggs

Shut up! Quit whining! It’s over! Move on!

24. reeggss - Aug 7, 2013 at 9:44 AM

@ hildezero
    No whining here bra, just sad you only support your team on social media websites. You should get out of the house more, go see a game, maybe you won’t get picked on like you did in college.

25. endusersolutions2013 - Aug 5, 2013 at 11:16 PM

You irresponsible spamming jerk. NOTHING to do with hockey in any way shape of form

Caps' 'culture change' proving positive