Aug 5, 2013, 10:04 PM EDT
Former Detroit Red Wings first-round pick Shawn Burr died at a Detroit-area hospital on Monday, according to TV station WDIV.
It’s believed that Burr suffered from head trauma following a fall at his home, although WDIV notes that the exact cause of death is unknown. He was 47.
For the last three years, Burr had been battling cancer. MLive.com reports that he was diagnosed with acute myelogenous leukemia (AML) in 2010.
While he struggled with AML, Burr took part in a “Take a Bite out of Cancer” campaign alongside the Michigan Dental Association and the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. The goal was to increase bone marrow registries across the state. He described the process to WDIV in May 2012.
“Someone that gets swabbed at the dentist’s office is going to save someone’s life,” Burr said. “And that’s, I mean, it only takes one person that’s going to save somebody’s life, and I think that’s kind of cool to be a part of something like that.”
The Red Wings drafted Burr seventh overall in 1984. He spent parts of 11 seasons with the Red Wings, becoming a regular member of the team from 1986-89 through 1994-95. He followed that with two stints (one in 1995-96 and 1996-97 before his final four career NHL games in 1999-2000) as a member of the Tampa Bay Lightning and parts of two seasons with San Jose Sharks.
Overall, he scored 440 points in 878 regular season games and 14 points in 91 postseason contests.
(AP photo via MLive.com.)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (75)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)