Aug 5, 2013, 10:04 PM EDT
Former Detroit Red Wings first-round pick Shawn Burr died at a Detroit-area hospital on Monday, according to TV station WDIV.
It’s believed that Burr suffered from head trauma following a fall at his home, although WDIV notes that the exact cause of death is unknown. He was 47.
For the last three years, Burr had been battling cancer. MLive.com reports that he was diagnosed with acute myelogenous leukemia (AML) in 2010.
While he struggled with AML, Burr took part in a “Take a Bite out of Cancer” campaign alongside the Michigan Dental Association and the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. The goal was to increase bone marrow registries across the state. He described the process to WDIV in May 2012.
“Someone that gets swabbed at the dentist’s office is going to save someone’s life,” Burr said. “And that’s, I mean, it only takes one person that’s going to save somebody’s life, and I think that’s kind of cool to be a part of something like that.”
The Red Wings drafted Burr seventh overall in 1984. He spent parts of 11 seasons with the Red Wings, becoming a regular member of the team from 1986-89 through 1994-95. He followed that with two stints (one in 1995-96 and 1996-97 before his final four career NHL games in 1999-2000) as a member of the Tampa Bay Lightning and parts of two seasons with San Jose Sharks.
Overall, he scored 440 points in 878 regular season games and 14 points in 91 postseason contests.
(AP photo via MLive.com.)
- All eyes on Lundqvist 4
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)