Aug 5, 2013, 10:55 AM EST
Alex Burmistrov is headed to the KHL next season but he’s not leaving without sounding off about what went wrong in his time with the Winnipeg Jets.
In speaking with Russia’s Sport-Express (link in Russian), Burmistrov pointed a finger at both coach Claude Noel and center Olli Jokinen for why he was seemingly buried last year. According to the (poor) translation of the story, some of his issues with Noel were know by now.
During the lockout Burmistrov wanted to play in the KHL, but the team and Noel had him play with St. John’s in the AHL instead. In 22 games with the IceCaps, he scored just two goals with nine assists. For what it’s worth, Noel has said he wasn’t aware of Burmistrov’s issues with him.
The issues with Jokinen, however, are new. Burmistrov wondered why the 15-year veteran continued to log top-six minutes despite playing poorly while he was kept seemingly buried.
For what it’s worth, Jokinen averaged two more minutes of ice time per game than Burmistrov and had just four more points than him. Maybe he had just cause to complain but when you’re just 21 years-old, those complaints don’t get you very far.
Burmistrov will play for Ak Bars Kazan next season.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 33
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)