Aug 5, 2013, 10:55 AM EDT
Alex Burmistrov is headed to the KHL next season but he’s not leaving without sounding off about what went wrong in his time with the Winnipeg Jets.
In speaking with Russia’s Sport-Express (link in Russian), Burmistrov pointed a finger at both coach Claude Noel and center Olli Jokinen for why he was seemingly buried last year. According to the (poor) translation of the story, some of his issues with Noel were know by now.
During the lockout Burmistrov wanted to play in the KHL, but the team and Noel had him play with St. John’s in the AHL instead. In 22 games with the IceCaps, he scored just two goals with nine assists. For what it’s worth, Noel has said he wasn’t aware of Burmistrov’s issues with him.
The issues with Jokinen, however, are new. Burmistrov wondered why the 15-year veteran continued to log top-six minutes despite playing poorly while he was kept seemingly buried.
For what it’s worth, Jokinen averaged two more minutes of ice time per game than Burmistrov and had just four more points than him. Maybe he had just cause to complain but when you’re just 21 years-old, those complaints don’t get you very far.
Burmistrov will play for Ak Bars Kazan next season.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 0
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 6
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 11
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 31
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 49
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 104
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)