Aug 4, 2013, 2:30 PM EST
When you think of the Ottawa Senators your thoughts don’t generally turn toward who is in goal. With the current team, you’re more likely to think about Jason Spezza or Erik Karlsson. Craig Anderson and Robin Lehner would like to change your mind about that.
Last season Anderson battled injury (like most of the rest of the team) and started in just 24 of 48 games. In those games, however, he was brilliant. He put up league-leading numbers in save percentage (.941) and goals against average (1.69) while going 24-12-9 leading Ottawa to the fifth seed in the East.
Numbers like those will usually put you at the front of the list for the Vezina Trophy. It’s that sort of effort that has to make Sens coach Paul MacLean breathe easier when it comes to who to play in net. Of course, it’s not as simple as it seems as he’s also got a hot shot youngster in Lehner as his backup.
Lehner’s numbers in the AHL with Binghamton the past two seasons weren’t the kind to make you think he was a top prospect, but when he took over the backup job in Ottawa last season he took off.
Lehner went 5-3-4 in his starts last season with a .936 SV% and a 2.20 GAA. If you have that kind of action to spell your starter, you’re going to win a lot of games.
No wonder people are looking at the Senators as Cup contenders. Scoring on them might prove to be impossible.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)