Aug 4, 2013, 8:12 PM EST
Still, if NHL.com’s latest story on the 36-year-old defenseman is any indication, Mitchell and the Los Angeles Kings no longer seem to need counseling to cope with his complicated rehab from knee issues. More specifically, GM Dean Lombardi claims that “Mitchell’s attitude has changed to enthusiastic as his progress has improved.”
Lombardi had nothing but praise for the defensive stalwart, at least when he can get on the ice.
“When he is out there, and I don’t think I’m out of line, I think he’s one of the top-five most underrated players in the League,” Lombardi said. “I think you’ve really got to know the game to appreciate him. We all appreciated him when we had him, but, boy, there are subtleties in his game that you see night in and night out. It’s his stick and his positioning. He’s probably one of the top penalty killers in the League.”
Even without Mitchell in the fold, the Kings’ defense is stacked with players, so the addition of such a key presence could make their blueline corps downright crowded.
Lombardi can think of far more troubling scenarios than having too many NHL defensemen.
“I guess we’re deep, particularly if Willie is healthy; but to me they’re like good pitchers, I don’t think you can have enough of them,” Lombardi said. “I’ll deal with this a whole lot better than I would with a shortage. It’s a good problem to have.”
Still, it remains to be seen if Mitchell can actually become a fixture once again.
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 2
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 30
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)