Aug 4, 2013, 8:12 PM EST
Still, if NHL.com’s latest story on the 36-year-old defenseman is any indication, Mitchell and the Los Angeles Kings no longer seem to need counseling to cope with his complicated rehab from knee issues. More specifically, GM Dean Lombardi claims that “Mitchell’s attitude has changed to enthusiastic as his progress has improved.”
Lombardi had nothing but praise for the defensive stalwart, at least when he can get on the ice.
“When he is out there, and I don’t think I’m out of line, I think he’s one of the top-five most underrated players in the League,” Lombardi said. “I think you’ve really got to know the game to appreciate him. We all appreciated him when we had him, but, boy, there are subtleties in his game that you see night in and night out. It’s his stick and his positioning. He’s probably one of the top penalty killers in the League.”
Even without Mitchell in the fold, the Kings’ defense is stacked with players, so the addition of such a key presence could make their blueline corps downright crowded.
Lombardi can think of far more troubling scenarios than having too many NHL defensemen.
“I guess we’re deep, particularly if Willie is healthy; but to me they’re like good pitchers, I don’t think you can have enough of them,” Lombardi said. “I’ll deal with this a whole lot better than I would with a shortage. It’s a good problem to have.”
Still, it remains to be seen if Mitchell can actually become a fixture once again.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)