Aug 4, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
Throughout the month of August, PHT will be dedicating a day to all 30 NHL clubs. Today’s team? The Ottawa Senators.
Last season ended on a low note for the Senators getting humbled by the Penguins in the Eastern Conference Semifinals. After barnstorming Montreal in the first-round, fans in Ottawa had high hopes for a deep run. Once the offseason began, things got a bit more exciting for some of the wrong reasons.
Ottawa fans were left stunned when captain Daniel Alfredsson decided to return for another season but not for the team he’d been playing since the mid-90s for. Alfie signed with Detroit and spurred GM Bryan Murray to pull off a stunning deal with Anaheim to acquire Bobby Ryan. While they gave up a lot of their own high-level youth (Jakob Silfverberg, Stefan Noesen) to get him, Ryan gives them a four-time 30-goal scorer, something Alfredsson hadn’t been since 2007-08.
Acquiring Ryan wasn’t their only move. Clarke MacArthur joined the fold after leaving Toronto and Joe Corvo returned to town to replace Sergei Gonchar who was dealt to Dallas. Add that extra offense to a team that figures to have a healthy defensive corps (and team all around) and underrated goalie Craig Anderson and you’ve got a team many believe will challenge for the Stanley Cup.
Talk is cheap but after being this summer’s “It” team, expectations are higher than ever in Ottawa.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 27
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)