Aug 4, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
Throughout the month of August, PHT will be dedicating a day to all 30 NHL clubs. Today’s team? The Ottawa Senators.
Last season ended on a low note for the Senators getting humbled by the Penguins in the Eastern Conference Semifinals. After barnstorming Montreal in the first-round, fans in Ottawa had high hopes for a deep run. Once the offseason began, things got a bit more exciting for some of the wrong reasons.
Ottawa fans were left stunned when captain Daniel Alfredsson decided to return for another season but not for the team he’d been playing since the mid-90s for. Alfie signed with Detroit and spurred GM Bryan Murray to pull off a stunning deal with Anaheim to acquire Bobby Ryan. While they gave up a lot of their own high-level youth (Jakob Silfverberg, Stefan Noesen) to get him, Ryan gives them a four-time 30-goal scorer, something Alfredsson hadn’t been since 2007-08.
Acquiring Ryan wasn’t their only move. Clarke MacArthur joined the fold after leaving Toronto and Joe Corvo returned to town to replace Sergei Gonchar who was dealt to Dallas. Add that extra offense to a team that figures to have a healthy defensive corps (and team all around) and underrated goalie Craig Anderson and you’ve got a team many believe will challenge for the Stanley Cup.
Talk is cheap but after being this summer’s “It” team, expectations are higher than ever in Ottawa.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 3
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)