Aug 4, 2013, 9:17 PM EDT
CSNWashington.com’s Bruce McNally breaks down each player’s expected roles, noting that Mike Ribeiro‘s departure provides a golden opportunity for Perrault, 25.
With veteran center Mike Ribeiro gone, Perreault should see more time on the power play. And that’s a potential career-changing opportunity. Perreault would be hard-pressed to match Ribeiro’s 27 power-play points from last season. He only had three power-play points in 2013 – primarily with the second unit – in 1:11 per game.
Meanwhile, McNally notes the disparity between Chimera’s career 2011-12 season (20 goals) versus his struggles in 2013, when he only collected three goals in 47 games played thanks to a jarring 3.3 shooting percentage.
At 34, the speedy and gritty forward will need to capitalize on more of his chances to line up an opportunity, whether it’s with Washington or not. (Example: if he had his typical puck luck regarding his 92 shots on goal in 2013, he would have finished with eight or nine goals instead of three.)
For the most part, the structure of this Capitals roster is set through the 2014-15 campaign, but Chimera and Perreault are two wild cards based on this upcoming season.
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 1
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 16
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 71
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 66
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (71)