Aug 4, 2013, 9:17 PM EDT
CSNWashington.com’s Bruce McNally breaks down each player’s expected roles, noting that Mike Ribeiro‘s departure provides a golden opportunity for Perrault, 25.
With veteran center Mike Ribeiro gone, Perreault should see more time on the power play. And that’s a potential career-changing opportunity. Perreault would be hard-pressed to match Ribeiro’s 27 power-play points from last season. He only had three power-play points in 2013 – primarily with the second unit – in 1:11 per game.
Meanwhile, McNally notes the disparity between Chimera’s career 2011-12 season (20 goals) versus his struggles in 2013, when he only collected three goals in 47 games played thanks to a jarring 3.3 shooting percentage.
At 34, the speedy and gritty forward will need to capitalize on more of his chances to line up an opportunity, whether it’s with Washington or not. (Example: if he had his typical puck luck regarding his 92 shots on goal in 2013, he would have finished with eight or nine goals instead of three.)
For the most part, the structure of this Capitals roster is set through the 2014-15 campaign, but Chimera and Perreault are two wild cards based on this upcoming season.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)