Aug 4, 2013, 9:17 PM EST
CSNWashington.com’s Bruce McNally breaks down each player’s expected roles, noting that Mike Ribeiro‘s departure provides a golden opportunity for Perrault, 25.
With veteran center Mike Ribeiro gone, Perreault should see more time on the power play. And that’s a potential career-changing opportunity. Perreault would be hard-pressed to match Ribeiro’s 27 power-play points from last season. He only had three power-play points in 2013 – primarily with the second unit – in 1:11 per game.
Meanwhile, McNally notes the disparity between Chimera’s career 2011-12 season (20 goals) versus his struggles in 2013, when he only collected three goals in 47 games played thanks to a jarring 3.3 shooting percentage.
At 34, the speedy and gritty forward will need to capitalize on more of his chances to line up an opportunity, whether it’s with Washington or not. (Example: if he had his typical puck luck regarding his 92 shots on goal in 2013, he would have finished with eight or nine goals instead of three.)
For the most part, the structure of this Capitals roster is set through the 2014-15 campaign, but Chimera and Perreault are two wild cards based on this upcoming season.
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 11
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 6
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 35
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)