Briere excited to get his Canadiens career underway

Aug 4, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT

Danny Briere Getty Images

Danny Briere‘s return home to Quebec has him gushing over getting to play for the team he grew up adoring.

Stu Cowan at the Montreal Gazette hears from the 35 year-old veteran who is feeling like a kid again after making his first visit to the team facilities.

“I grew up a Canadiens fan so pulling on that jersey for the first time today was special,” Briere said.

“Today was my first time in the dressing room. I’ve seen the Bell Centre a lot but it’s nice to see it from the good side.”

Briere will be donning his familiar No. 48 with the Canadiens and looking to step into a lineup that’s not lacking in offensive talent.

Montreal may not be run-and-gun the way the Flyers have been, but skating alongside Tomas Plekanec and Max Pacioretty could help Briere get back in the goal column more often.

1. phillyphanatic77 - Aug 4, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I hate to criticize Briere, considering he’s a good person and was very productive here, but I just don’t see an offensive renaissance in Montreal. He showed a steady offensive decline (and overall play) the past two seasons. And if he’s not scoring goals he’s a huge liability bc he rarely puts out effort defensively and tends to float when he doesn’t have the puck. Not to mention he’ll be another dwarf in a painfully undersized forward group. I hope he has a comeback but idk if 20 goals is even within reach anymore. Or if his trademark playoff heroics will come into play on Habs team that will probably come back to earth after a good half of a half season.

• hadiharli - Aug 4, 2013 at 2:51 PM

I BUY ALMOST EVERYTHING EXCEPT FOOD AND CLOTHING FROM ONLINE AUCTIONS MOST PEOPLE AREN’T AWARE OF THE ALMOST UNBELIEVABLE DEALS THAT THEY CAN GET FROM ONLINE AUCTION SITES THE SITE THAT HAS THE BEST DEALS IS saveBang,,Com

I checked with the BBB and was told that it is all legit.How they can sell gift cards, laptops,
      cameras, and all kinds of goodies that we all want for 50-90% off, I don’t know
      I do know that I bought my son an ipad there for less than $100 and my husband a $250 Low gift

cards for 48Why would I even think about shopping anyþlace else?

• dolphincult - Aug 6, 2013 at 10:56 AM

please ban or pull this idiot’s login

2. modellforprez - Aug 4, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Or Not. Briere plekanec and patchoretti are decent players but they are not Elite. And are NOT hoisting any cups anytime soon.

3. joey4id - Aug 4, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Where was that enthusiasm is 2007? I’m sure Montreal fans would have given a nice welcome to a younger Briere, and expected more production from him. Now he returns to Quebec and the fans will expect a lot less from him. Go way to avoid the pressure that comes with being French and playing in Montreal.

• biasedhomer - Aug 4, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Its not like Philly’s a pressure cooker or anything…

And Briere probably has no regrets signing with Philly, they had better overall players during the last 5 to 6 years and had more success as a team.

4. girouxed - Aug 4, 2013 at 8:50 PM