Aug 3, 2013, 7:15 PM EST
The question now is when that return will be.
Nugent-Hopkins initially expressed confidence that he would be “good to go” for the start of the season. The Edmonton Oilers remain upbeat about his recovery, but Oilers GM Craig MacTavish isn’t about to make any promises.
“All things are very optimistic now … but the timeline before was that he’d be ready Nov. 1, in a very pessimistic timeline, and optimistically he’d be ready to start the year,” MacTavish told the Edmonton Journal. “We’re going to stay with that and let his progression dictate when he’s ready. We won’t be hurrying him, that’s for sure.”
MacTavish conceded that being without Nugent-Hopkins would create a big hole in their lineup, but it would also be an opportunity for some of the Oilers’ young forwards.
Nugent-Hopkins had 52 points in 62 games as a rookie and then 24 points in 40 contests last season.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 13
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (183)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)