Aug 3, 2013, 12:35 PM EDT
There’s not much left to do in Glendale to keep the Coyotes there.
Glendale resident Ken Jones and his group of citizens failed, for the third time, to get enough signatures to bring the Coyotes deal to a vote. As Caitlin McGlade of the Arizona Republic hears it from Jones, he felt he was trying to save the city from itself.
“We did not want Glendale to become a miniature Detroit,” Jones said, adding the job was “just too big” for the volunteers.
“They are better citizens than those that did nothing. Shame on those who stood silently by like sheep,” he said.
Jones and his group had to amass 7,000 signatures to bring the Coyotes deal to a city-wide vote but he says he only got three-fourths that amount.
His reference to Detroit is due to that city declaring bankruptcy recently. Of course, Detroit also approved finances to build a new arena for the Detroit Red Wings so maybe the parallels are already a bit too strong.
With this latest effort to block the sale now over with, it’s up to the Ice Arizona group to complete the sale and for the NHL Board of Governors to approve it. The potential ownership group has until Monday, August 5 to complete the sale.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 23
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 30
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)