Aug 3, 2013, 12:35 PM EST
There’s not much left to do in Glendale to keep the Coyotes there.
Glendale resident Ken Jones and his group of citizens failed, for the third time, to get enough signatures to bring the Coyotes deal to a vote. As Caitlin McGlade of the Arizona Republic hears it from Jones, he felt he was trying to save the city from itself.
“We did not want Glendale to become a miniature Detroit,” Jones said, adding the job was “just too big” for the volunteers.
“They are better citizens than those that did nothing. Shame on those who stood silently by like sheep,” he said.
Jones and his group had to amass 7,000 signatures to bring the Coyotes deal to a city-wide vote but he says he only got three-fourths that amount.
His reference to Detroit is due to that city declaring bankruptcy recently. Of course, Detroit also approved finances to build a new arena for the Detroit Red Wings so maybe the parallels are already a bit too strong.
With this latest effort to block the sale now over with, it’s up to the Ice Arizona group to complete the sale and for the NHL Board of Governors to approve it. The potential ownership group has until Monday, August 5 to complete the sale.
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 0
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 7
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 19
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 38
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)