Aug 3, 2013, 9:15 AM EST
Throughout the month of August, PHT will be dedicating a day to all 30 NHL clubs. Today’s team? The Florida Panthers.
After making the playoffs and winning the Southeast Division two years ago, things went back to “normal” last year for the Panthers. They were last in the division, Eastern Conference, and the league. Things went so poorly they didn’t even land the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.
Now that they’ve put that behind them, it appears they’ve got another potentially bumpy season ahead with a very young team. GM Dale Tallon will eventually look like a smart guy when their prospects finally make it to the show, but for now everyone’s going to have some growing pains.
It all started at the NHL Draft for the Panthers as they selected Aleksander Barkov with the second overall pick giving them a potential No. 1 center to play with Calder Trophy winner Jonathan Huberdeau. When free agency started, it was more about who wasn’t coming back.
Gone are center Stephen Weiss, winger Peter Mueller and goalie Jose Theodore. They also bought out defenseman Filip Kuba.
Tallon replaced Weiss with Barkov, mainly, but also just brought in Scott Gomez on a one-year deal to try and solidify things up the middle. Forwards Joey Crabb and Bobby Butler and defenseman Matt Gilroy rounded out their haul and that’s not overly inspiring.
Instead, Florida will hope for better luck with injuries so they can get more from Tomas Fleischmann, Sean Bergenheim, and Kris Versteeg. They’ll also be hoping goalie Jacob Markstrom can shake off a tough rookie year on a bad team and evolve into the No. 1 goalie they believe he can be.
Mar 2, 2015, 7:31 PM EST
Adding versatility in a tough West.
Mar 2, 2015, 6:49 PM EST
Quite a rebound from a scary lacerated arm.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:59 PM EST
“We were looking to upgrade, add more of a veteran presence.”
Mar 2, 2015, 5:49 PM EST
“It’s just hard to get a deal done, and you see the prices are so high.”
Mar 2, 2015, 5:25 PM EST
Was it just a sellers’ market?
Mar 2, 2015, 5:10 PM EST
He gets a no-trade clause in the first year of the deal.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:09 PM EST
“Devastating” news for the Calgary Flames.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:47 PM EST
He was scheduled to become a restricted free agent after this season.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
All the latest leading up to 3 p.m. ET…
Mar 2, 2015, 3:57 PM EST
They were “adamant” about bolstering their blue line.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:44 PM EST
Second trade of the day for Boston.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:38 PM EST
Former 13th overall pick.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:20 PM EST
A 31-year-old for a 23-year-old.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:15 PM EST
For the price of a second-round pick in 2017.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:07 PM EST
Busy day for Montreal.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:06 PM EST
Speedy winger was rumored to be a trade deadline target.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:58 PM EST
Kids. They do the darndest things.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:43 PM EST
Has only been to the playoffs once in his career.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:38 PM EST
New York gets Mark Louis in the deal.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:23 PM EST
It’s the veteran’s third team this season.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 20
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 33
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 15
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 29
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 11
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 48
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 44
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 16
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 64
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)