Aug 3, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers are coming off of a disappointing season where they failed to make the playoffs, but Flyers coach Peter Laviolette feels there are reasons to be upbeat about the franchise.
Lecavalier never turned into the consistent superstar that the Tampa Bay Lightning were hoping for, but the 33-year-old has been relieved of the expectations that came with his now bought out 11-year, $85 million contract. Now attention can be drawn more towards what he actually is: A well above average forward that scored at least 20 goals in 12 straight campaigns before the shortened season.
Meanwhile, Streit, 35, is a top-notch offensive defenseman that’s particularly dangerous with the man advantage.
Still, Laviolette has an addition reason for likely both of them.
“We pick up a real talented, experienced guy who can help with leadership,” Laviolette told the Flyers’ website. “That’s one of the nice things about our pick ups this summer is we added two guys who were captains of their teams before coming here and that should be a big help to our young group.”
Adding Emery was also big for Laviolette, given that he’s been a fan of the 30-year-old goaltender for quite a while.
“I remember before I was hired here, I was working for TSN in Canada and I was watching Emery play (for the Flyers) and I really liked him,” Laviolette said. “I was making a pitch for him on television to be added to the Canadian Olympic team because I thought he was playing so well at the time.
“As a matter of fact, the last game he played for the Flyers was in Calgary in 2010 and he won 3-0 and was phenomenal in the game. The next day, the news turned on him (with his injury).”
Emery had avascular necrosis, but he eventually managed to return. After excelling last season as the Chicago Blackhawks’ backup goaltender, he’ll compete for the starting job with Steve Mason.
That goaltending tandem is one of the things Laviolette is excited about going forward. As big as the additions of Streit and Lecavalier are, it might be Emery with his one-year, $1.65 million contract that steals the spotlight.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:23 PM EST
Kimmo Timonen and Antoine Vermette made their debuts.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:49 PM EST
San Jose beat Montreal 4-0 on Monday.
Mar 2, 2015, 9:56 PM EST
An impressive effort for a team going all-in.
Mar 2, 2015, 9:03 PM EST
Then again, Taylor Beck’s helper might have been better.
Mar 2, 2015, 8:14 PM EST
He’ll pair with Sergei Gonchar to start.
Mar 2, 2015, 7:31 PM EST
Adding versatility in a tough West.
Mar 2, 2015, 6:49 PM EST
Quite a rebound from a scary lacerated arm.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:59 PM EST
“We were looking to upgrade, add more of a veteran presence.”
Mar 2, 2015, 5:49 PM EST
“It’s just hard to get a deal done, and you see the prices are so high.”
Mar 2, 2015, 5:25 PM EST
Was it just a sellers’ market?
Mar 2, 2015, 5:10 PM EST
He gets a no-trade clause in the first year of the deal.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:09 PM EST
“Devastating” news for the Calgary Flames.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:47 PM EST
He was scheduled to become a restricted free agent after this season.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
All the latest leading up to 3 p.m. ET…
Mar 2, 2015, 3:57 PM EST
They were “adamant” about bolstering their blue line.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:44 PM EST
Second trade of the day for Boston.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:38 PM EST
Former 13th overall pick.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:20 PM EST
A 31-year-old for a 23-year-old.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:15 PM EST
For the price of a second-round pick in 2017.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:07 PM EST
Busy day for Montreal.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)