Aug 3, 2013, 3:05 PM EST
Jonathan Bernier has always been a highly-touted young goalie. The problem he’s had is being stuck behind a guy who seized an opportunity to win and keep a starting job.
Now he’s a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs and while James Reimer has been the No. 1 guy there the last two seasons, Bernier will get a shot to be the man there. He tells Kevin McGran of the Toronto Star he plans on taking advantage of it.
“I’ve been waiting for that, to get my chance,” Bernier said. “It was very frustrating. That’s hockey, When you get your chance, you’ve got to take it. That’s what happened with Jonathan Quick.”
The Leafs haven’t said one way or the other about what the situation will be in goal, but given their acquisition of Bernier and previous chase of Roberto Luongo, you have to assume there’ll be competition to be the starter.
If you thought goaltending was already a strength for the Leafs, they might be swimming in riches now.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)