Aug 3, 2013, 3:05 PM EDT
Jonathan Bernier has always been a highly-touted young goalie. The problem he’s had is being stuck behind a guy who seized an opportunity to win and keep a starting job.
Now he’s a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs and while James Reimer has been the No. 1 guy there the last two seasons, Bernier will get a shot to be the man there. He tells Kevin McGran of the Toronto Star he plans on taking advantage of it.
“I’ve been waiting for that, to get my chance,” Bernier said. “It was very frustrating. That’s hockey, When you get your chance, you’ve got to take it. That’s what happened with Jonathan Quick.”
The Leafs haven’t said one way or the other about what the situation will be in goal, but given their acquisition of Bernier and previous chase of Roberto Luongo, you have to assume there’ll be competition to be the starter.
If you thought goaltending was already a strength for the Leafs, they might be swimming in riches now.
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 4
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 15
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 18
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9