Aug 3, 2013, 10:48 PM EST
Ryan Whitney went through a rough season with the Edmonton Oilers. The team made him a healthy scratch at times despite the fact that he came with an $4 million annual cap hit. However, he did manage to heat up in the latter half of the shortened season.
Now that his six-year, $24 million contract has expired, the Oilers have moved on, but the 30-year-old offensive defenseman hasn’t been able to do the same. At least not yet.
“Still waiting/looking for the right fit for him (Whitney),” his agent Paul Krepelka told the Edmonton Journal.
“It’s been a unique free-agency period. After initial signings on Day Oene, the secondary phase dried up very quickly. Would guess a lot of players will be waiting for find work up and including training camp.”
As Krepelka suggested, Whitney isn’t the only player in this position. Several noteworthy veteran defensemen, including Ron Hainsey, Tomas Kaberle, and Tom Gilbert are still looking for work.
At this stage of the free agent market, they could all end up inking one-year “show me” contracts in the hope of doing better in the 2014 free agent market.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)