Aug 3, 2013, 10:48 PM EDT
Ryan Whitney went through a rough season with the Edmonton Oilers. The team made him a healthy scratch at times despite the fact that he came with an $4 million annual cap hit. However, he did manage to heat up in the latter half of the shortened season.
Now that his six-year, $24 million contract has expired, the Oilers have moved on, but the 30-year-old offensive defenseman hasn’t been able to do the same. At least not yet.
“Still waiting/looking for the right fit for him (Whitney),” his agent Paul Krepelka told the Edmonton Journal.
“It’s been a unique free-agency period. After initial signings on Day Oene, the secondary phase dried up very quickly. Would guess a lot of players will be waiting for find work up and including training camp.”
As Krepelka suggested, Whitney isn’t the only player in this position. Several noteworthy veteran defensemen, including Ron Hainsey, Tomas Kaberle, and Tom Gilbert are still looking for work.
At this stage of the free agent market, they could all end up inking one-year “show me” contracts in the hope of doing better in the 2014 free agent market.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)