Aug 2, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
If you take a look over at CapGeek.com, you’ll see a team near the top of the payroll list that we’re not accustomed to seeing there.
The Winnipeg Jets’ payroll this season is currently just over $62 million putting them just $2 million off the cap. After signing Bryan Little, Blake Wheeler, and Zach Bogosian to long-term lucrative extensions, cap space is tight and the team executives are just fine with that
As Jets co-owner Mark Chipman tells Tim Campbell of the Winnipeg Free Press, they’re comfortable spending that much to try and ice a winner.
“As you probably know, we’ve got one of the largest number of multi-year agreements in the league,” he said. “We’ve had plenty of time to consider this and we’ve had a plan established for some time and we’re merely following it.”
The Jets have 11 players signed to multi-year deals through 2015-16. The team also has its season tickets sold out and a waiting list to get them a mile long to help keep bringing in cash.
With that kind of setup it would’ve been more surprising to see the Jets not cough up money to keep players who’ve done well for them.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)