Aug 2, 2013, 7:50 PM EST
It seems like old news by now.
The Sharks have also re-signed Marek Viedensky to a one-year deal, as per CSN Bay Area.
Earlier this week, it was reported that the Sharks had agreed with Kearns to a one-year, two-way deal worth $550,000 at the NHL level.
This past season with the Sharks, the journeyman forward played in one regular season game and seven games during the Stanley Cup playoffs.
Originally from Vancouver, Kearns’ atypical but remarkable journey to the NHL has been well-documented.
He was never drafted and never played a game of major junior hockey.
Instead, he played at the University of Calgary in Canadian Interuniversity Sport, before entering the world of pro hockey in 2005-06. He spent most of that season with the Toledo Storm in the ECHL.
He’s come a long way.
“I can honestly say (quitting) never really crossed my mind,” Kearns told George Johnson of the Calgary Herald and Postmedia News in May, during the Sharks playoff run.
“I’ve never gotten to that point. Some people might find that crazy . . . But I’ve honestly felt I’ve gotten better every year. And that’s been a sign that I should stick with it.
“People always ask me ‘Are you going to Europe to play?’ Well, I’ve never considered it. I’ve always dreamed of playing in the NHL. So I’ve always strived for that.”
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)