Aug 2, 2013, 7:50 PM EDT
It seems like old news by now.
The Sharks have also re-signed Marek Viedensky to a one-year deal, as per CSN Bay Area.
Earlier this week, it was reported that the Sharks had agreed with Kearns to a one-year, two-way deal worth $550,000 at the NHL level.
This past season with the Sharks, the journeyman forward played in one regular season game and seven games during the Stanley Cup playoffs.
Originally from Vancouver, Kearns’ atypical but remarkable journey to the NHL has been well-documented.
He was never drafted and never played a game of major junior hockey.
Instead, he played at the University of Calgary in Canadian Interuniversity Sport, before entering the world of pro hockey in 2005-06. He spent most of that season with the Toledo Storm in the ECHL.
He’s come a long way.
“I can honestly say (quitting) never really crossed my mind,” Kearns told George Johnson of the Calgary Herald and Postmedia News in May, during the Sharks playoff run.
“I’ve never gotten to that point. Some people might find that crazy . . . But I’ve honestly felt I’ve gotten better every year. And that’s been a sign that I should stick with it.
“People always ask me ‘Are you going to Europe to play?’ Well, I’ve never considered it. I’ve always dreamed of playing in the NHL. So I’ve always strived for that.”
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)