Aug 2, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
The Kings are making sure to keep their forward group as loaded up as their defensive corps.
After breaking out last season as more of an offensive threat, Clifford’s game rounded out. Adding seven goals and seven assists to his 51 penalty minutes made him one of the more difficult players to go up against. Offense with tough, physical play is hard to find.
Clifford will compete for a spot potentially in the Kings’ top-six forward group of the left wing now that Dustin Penner signed in Anaheim. He’ll go up against the likes of Daniel Carcillo and possibly Tyler Toffoli to do that.
This signing gives Los Angeles 25 NHL contracts on their roster. Any given night means having as many as 23 players up with the big club. GM Dean Lombardi will have some decisions to make on who gets to stay.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 2
- In praise of John Tavares 11
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 20
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36