Aug 2, 2013, 10:44 AM EST
A poll taken last winter in Canada determined that fewer kids are getting into hockey. While Canada prides itself on the sport, the drop in participation is taking many by surprise including Mark Messier.
Messier tells The Canadian Press he’s stunned by the results and wants to help improve things as best as he can.
“I think it comes to a shock to everybody,” he said. “We like to consider ourselves at the top of the pyramid in hockey around the world and if we’re going to stay there . . . we have to continue to develop our talent pool.”
Messier wants to do this by introducing more kids to the sport and help keep them interested it as they grow up. Of course, hockey is one of the more expensive sports to play as equipment isn’t cheap so more kids are getting into sports like basketball and soccer.
This development probably doesn’t do much to calm Canadian nerves when it comes to the World Junior Championships either as Canada hasn’t won gold there since 2009.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 51
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (51)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)
- ‘Don’t ruin a good thing,’ says Don Cherry after historic Rogers-NHL deal (32)