Aug 2, 2013, 4:34 PM EST
Nicklas Lidstrom, as was announced yesterday, will watch his No. 5 jersey go to the rafters at Joe Louis Arena next season, and while it’s an inevitable celebration for the long-time steady Detroit Red Wings defenseman, he remains humbled.
There are a number of excellent past players who had a tremendous impact on the Red Wings through the years.
It’s a fact Lidstrom, who played his entire career with the Red Wings and was regarded as one of the best blue liners ever to play the game, is fully aware of.
The likes of Steve Yzerman, Ted Lindsay, Gordie Howe, Sid Abel, Terry Sawchuk and Alex Delvecchio – they are players who have come before Lidstrom and who also have their jerseys retired.
“It’s a tremendous honor to have my jersey retired next to Yzerman, Lindsay, Howe, Abel, Sawchuk and Delvecchio,” Lidstrom told the Detroit Free Press.
“I’m looking forward to the ceremony and to have my family there…And for them to experience the great atmosphere of the Joe once again!”
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 49
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)