Aug 2, 2013, 4:34 PM EST
Nicklas Lidstrom, as was announced yesterday, will watch his No. 5 jersey go to the rafters at Joe Louis Arena next season, and while it’s an inevitable celebration for the long-time steady Detroit Red Wings defenseman, he remains humbled.
There are a number of excellent past players who had a tremendous impact on the Red Wings through the years.
It’s a fact Lidstrom, who played his entire career with the Red Wings and was regarded as one of the best blue liners ever to play the game, is fully aware of.
The likes of Steve Yzerman, Ted Lindsay, Gordie Howe, Sid Abel, Terry Sawchuk and Alex Delvecchio – they are players who have come before Lidstrom and who also have their jerseys retired.
“It’s a tremendous honor to have my jersey retired next to Yzerman, Lindsay, Howe, Abel, Sawchuk and Delvecchio,” Lidstrom told the Detroit Free Press.
“I’m looking forward to the ceremony and to have my family there…And for them to experience the great atmosphere of the Joe once again!”
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)