Aug 2, 2013, 4:34 PM EST
Nicklas Lidstrom, as was announced yesterday, will watch his No. 5 jersey go to the rafters at Joe Louis Arena next season, and while it’s an inevitable celebration for the long-time steady Detroit Red Wings defenseman, he remains humbled.
There are a number of excellent past players who had a tremendous impact on the Red Wings through the years.
It’s a fact Lidstrom, who played his entire career with the Red Wings and was regarded as one of the best blue liners ever to play the game, is fully aware of.
The likes of Steve Yzerman, Ted Lindsay, Gordie Howe, Sid Abel, Terry Sawchuk and Alex Delvecchio – they are players who have come before Lidstrom and who also have their jerseys retired.
“It’s a tremendous honor to have my jersey retired next to Yzerman, Lindsay, Howe, Abel, Sawchuk and Delvecchio,” Lidstrom told the Detroit Free Press.
“I’m looking forward to the ceremony and to have my family there…And for them to experience the great atmosphere of the Joe once again!”
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)