Aug 2, 2013, 11:35 AM EST
Calgary’s Sven Baertschi knows he’s got high expectations to become their next big-time scorer. He also knows now there’s a lot of hard work that goes into it.
John Kreiser at NHL.com hears it from the young Swiss forward about what he learned from a rocky first season in the NHL and how he hopes to make the leap this year.
“I learned that you’ve got to earn it,” he said. “They’re not going to give you everything, or anything, just because you’re a first-round pick. No one cares. They’re too busy. There’s too much at stake.
“But I know I belong here. I think it helps that I finished the season strong.”
Last season saw Baertschi play in just 20 games for the Flames scoring just three goals with seven assists. He found himself in the AHL with Abbotsford for a spell after being sent down. There he had 10 goals and 26 points in 32 games.
If he can “earn it” and reach his potential the Flames will have that offensive threat to replace Jarome Iginla.
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 7
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 7
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 16
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 12
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)