Aug 2, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
Sabres fans certainly know enough about bad luck and injuries, but how could things stack up this season if you evened out the bad breaks and eliminated ? Not very well says author and statistical analyst Rob Vollman.
He’s the author of “Rob Vollman’s Hockey Abstract” wherein he digs into numbers a little deeper than just goals, saves, and penalty minutes. In there he breaks down a luck-neutral way of analyzing teams where luck, injuries, roster changes, and overtime/shootouts are all factored in or out to account for how a team should do.
For the 2013-14 season he projects the Sabres to be a 72 point team, good for last place in the Eastern Conference and only one point better than Calgary overall.
That’s as bleak as an outlook can get but if there’s a way to take solace in that, they’ll have company at the bottom. Vollman projects divisional rivals Toronto to be just a point better than the Sabres. Hey, maybe Thomas Vanek scores 60 this season, Cody Hodgson turns into Sidney Crosby and Ryan Miller pretends it’s 2010 all over again and things go differently. That’s why they play the games at least.
- Video: Filppula, Stamkos score two big goals for Bolts 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 7
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 28
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)