Aug 1, 2013, 2:40 PM EST
Talk about perfect timing — the Red Wings have just announced that Nicklas Lidstrom’s No. 5 will be retired on March 6, 2014, when Detroit hosts the Colorado Avalanche.
(It’s Red Wings day on PHT, if you haven’t heard.)
“For a long time, there was no doubt in ownership’s and management’s mind that Nicklas Lidstrom would play his entire career with the Detroit Red Wings and that his sweater would fittingly go up into the rafters along with the other all-time greatest Red Wing players – Abel, Delvecchio, Howe, Lindsay, Sawchuk and Yzerman,” said Wings Senior Vice President Jim Devellano in a release.
One of the greatest defensemen in NHL history, the Lidstrom ceremony should be a special one, as Wings fans have yet to really honor him in person since he officially retired. The seven-time Norris Trophy winner called it a career on May 31, 2012.
One question we still have — will Lidstrom be part of the Winter Classic festivities? Remember, there’s an alumni game on New Year’s Eve at Comerica Park.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)