Aug 1, 2013, 2:40 PM EDT
Talk about perfect timing — the Red Wings have just announced that Nicklas Lidstrom’s No. 5 will be retired on March 6, 2014, when Detroit hosts the Colorado Avalanche.
(It’s Red Wings day on PHT, if you haven’t heard.)
“For a long time, there was no doubt in ownership’s and management’s mind that Nicklas Lidstrom would play his entire career with the Detroit Red Wings and that his sweater would fittingly go up into the rafters along with the other all-time greatest Red Wing players – Abel, Delvecchio, Howe, Lindsay, Sawchuk and Yzerman,” said Wings Senior Vice President Jim Devellano in a release.
One of the greatest defensemen in NHL history, the Lidstrom ceremony should be a special one, as Wings fans have yet to really honor him in person since he officially retired. The seven-time Norris Trophy winner called it a career on May 31, 2012.
One question we still have — will Lidstrom be part of the Winter Classic festivities? Remember, there’s an alumni game on New Year’s Eve at Comerica Park.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 13
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)