Aug 1, 2013, 2:40 PM EDT
Talk about perfect timing — the Red Wings have just announced that Nicklas Lidstrom’s No. 5 will be retired on March 6, 2014, when Detroit hosts the Colorado Avalanche.
(It’s Red Wings day on PHT, if you haven’t heard.)
“For a long time, there was no doubt in ownership’s and management’s mind that Nicklas Lidstrom would play his entire career with the Detroit Red Wings and that his sweater would fittingly go up into the rafters along with the other all-time greatest Red Wing players – Abel, Delvecchio, Howe, Lindsay, Sawchuk and Yzerman,” said Wings Senior Vice President Jim Devellano in a release.
One of the greatest defensemen in NHL history, the Lidstrom ceremony should be a special one, as Wings fans have yet to really honor him in person since he officially retired. The seven-time Norris Trophy winner called it a career on May 31, 2012.
One question we still have — will Lidstrom be part of the Winter Classic festivities? Remember, there’s an alumni game on New Year’s Eve at Comerica Park.
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 5
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 16
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 36
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 7
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 44
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 105
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)