Aug 1, 2013, 2:40 PM EST
Talk about perfect timing — the Red Wings have just announced that Nicklas Lidstrom’s No. 5 will be retired on March 6, 2014, when Detroit hosts the Colorado Avalanche.
(It’s Red Wings day on PHT, if you haven’t heard.)
“For a long time, there was no doubt in ownership’s and management’s mind that Nicklas Lidstrom would play his entire career with the Detroit Red Wings and that his sweater would fittingly go up into the rafters along with the other all-time greatest Red Wing players – Abel, Delvecchio, Howe, Lindsay, Sawchuk and Yzerman,” said Wings Senior Vice President Jim Devellano in a release.
One of the greatest defensemen in NHL history, the Lidstrom ceremony should be a special one, as Wings fans have yet to really honor him in person since he officially retired. The seven-time Norris Trophy winner called it a career on May 31, 2012.
One question we still have — will Lidstrom be part of the Winter Classic festivities? Remember, there’s an alumni game on New Year’s Eve at Comerica Park.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 28
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 24
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 42
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)