Video: an emotional Patrick Kane reflects on ‘tough times’

Aug 1, 2013, 12:52 PM EDT

Patrick Kane

For all the criticism Patrick Kane received for his various off-ice adventures, there was always a contingent of fans that believed he was doing nothing wrong.

For that contingent, Kane was just a young kid having fun. A victim of cellphone cameras. If anyone was to blame, it was the media for making such a big deal out of everything he did off the ice.

And to a certain extent, there may have been some truth to that.

However, in a recent interview with CSN Chicago, Kane essentially admitted that his behavior didn’t reflect how he was raised by his family.

“It was tough to kind of let them down,” said Kane.

The 24-year-old Conn Smythe Trophy winner, currently enjoying a much better offseason than last, also expressed thanks to his employer.

“The Blackhawks organization was great, for them sticking with me through those tough times was huge,” he said.

1. sjsharks66 - Aug 1, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I have $20 on him choking another girl before the season starts.

• bennywuh - Aug 1, 2013 at 1:12 PM

LoL – sry, thats just funny right there

• bobhpine - Aug 1, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Waaaaa, I’m so sad because I’m a sexual deviant. Waaaaaa, I punched a poor taxi driver and hurled racist epithets at him because I’m a horrible person. Waaaaaaaa.

This guy will end up flashing his tiny Anthony weiner on the Internet and probably getting charged for spme kind of sexual assault someday. But at least he has two rings!!

2. chiadam - Aug 1, 2013 at 1:26 PM

And I have $200 on the Sharks doing all their choking after the season starts. 2010 WCF: Hawks in four.

• hockeyflow33 - Aug 1, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Well played

• ibieiniid - Aug 1, 2013 at 3:22 PM

ohhhhhhhhhhh.

too bad he’s a Penguins fan.

3. sjsharks66 - Aug 1, 2013 at 1:29 PM

At least when they do “choke” they don’t actually go out and choke women. ;)

• sunderlanding - Aug 1, 2013 at 9:57 PM

I’d choke a woman to have the Leaf’s win the cup. Fair trade.

4. jcmeyer10 - Aug 1, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Patrick Kane when asked about the Seguin trade: *wipes a tear from his eyes* “You know that could have been me, traded from a contender to a team fighting for the playoffs. I wake up thankful every day my life didn’t turn out like that”.

5. pepper2011 - Aug 1, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Good for him. He seems like he legitimately learned some lessons. He is/was young and entitled. He really seems to have been humbled. You could see the excitement in his eyes talking about another Cup and you could see the remorse. As a Bruins fan I would have given anything to see Seguin like this, but A) he’s not as good as Kane and B) he does not care, why? cause his parents keep backing him. I mean all the reports; and I am sure some of them were exaggerated, but when commit 6m a year to someone is it that ridiculous to request they act like an adult?

6. hammerhead5573 - Aug 1, 2013 at 1:43 PM

@sjsharks66. I’ll bet you were just hoping to god you would be the first to post a comment. Of course anyone who has seen ur posts throughout the playoffs knows you make absolutely no sense. Wait don’t you guys have the biggest cheap shot artist in hockey on ur team? How’d that work out for them? I’ll take Kane over anyone on that team. Hell, I’ll take Bolig over most any of them who only knows how to lose.

7. sjsharks66 - Aug 1, 2013 at 1:55 PM

*Bollig

• endusersolutions2013 - Aug 1, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Bollig? Boy that’s really a low blow. I’m still hoping some other teams wants him and Brookbank so there can be room on the roster with a much better future.

8. chicagofansaretheworst - Aug 1, 2013 at 2:38 PM

go punch another cab driver over 20 cents

• hawksin5 - Aug 1, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Awww someone a little butt-hurt? And i dont know where you are from, or who youre a fan of, but Philly fans are the worst. Not Chicago fans.

9. nj666 - Aug 1, 2013 at 2:39 PM

All he did was go a little Jim Lahey during the off-season, that shouldn’t take away from how good of a player he is. If he were an NFL player it would be a non-issue.

• buckyblackhawk - Aug 1, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Season 8…coming soon!!!!!!

10. pxland - Aug 1, 2013 at 2:40 PM

My respect meter just went up a couple notches….

11. eggserino - Aug 1, 2013 at 3:11 PM

It puts a little spring in my step to see the highlights of the Wings shaking hands with the Hawks on Red Wings day on PHT. These guys really do it right.

12. giantssb42champs - Aug 1, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Gotta give Kaner some credit for opening up. Can’t be easy. He’s still the heart and soul of the 2-time champs.

• endusersolutions2013 - Aug 1, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I think that is shared with Toews, Sharp, Keith and Seabrook.

13. rebekah319 - Aug 1, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Honestly I feel like he was old enough at the time he was doing all these things to actually know better than to do them. As much as I dislike him its actually good to know he is growing up…

14. chizzlechest - Aug 1, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Yea yea us Philly fans are the worst. Know why? Because you are jealous. Jealous of the love we have with our team, and jealous of the live we get back from the teams. There are no better fans than Philly, because none of you are strong enough to be one. Its a life decision.

• whammy71 - Aug 1, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Just go back to the land of misfit gingers and pipe down!

1975!!!

15. endusersolutions2013 - Aug 1, 2013 at 10:56 PM

For all the cheap shot artists, Kane took a big step forward professionally this year. He: scored at his highest points/game clip ever, worked on his defense and ended up +11 in a shortened season.

Not only was he tied for tops in goals, he lead the team in assists – as a winger. Some amazing passes (he actually should have probably shot more) Was the best shoutout guy on the team, one of the best 2 or 3 in he league.

Bottom line is he did whatever his team needed him to do (OK, he didn’t do much as an enforcer;)

16. rooster02796 - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:44 AM

out of all of the people on here how many of you can honestly say they’ve never made a mistake? Oh that’s right no one hop off his back I think it’s great he opened up about it

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches