Aug 1, 2013, 9:59 AM EDT
Leksands IF of the Swedish Hockey League is reporting that they have signed forward Ryan Russell.
Russell was drafted with the 211th pick in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, but he managed to fight his way to the NHL in 2011-12.
He scored two goals in 41 contests with the Columbus Blue Jackets. However, the 26-year-old ended up back in the AHL last season, recording six goals and 10 assists in 62 contests with Springfield.
His twin brother, defenseman Kris Russell, has 95 points and 145 penalty minutes in 364 career NHL games. The blueliner will play for the Calgary Flames in 2013-14 on a one-year contract worth $1.5 million.
The twins briefly played within the same organization when the Blue Jackets acquired Ryan in the summer of 2011. However, Ryan wouldn’t make his NHL debut until Jan. 7, 2012 and by then Kris had been traded to the St. Louis Blues.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)