Aug 1, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
According to Adam Henrique, no new contract is no big problem.
The New Jersey forward, currently a restricted free agent, hasn’t seen any movement on the negotiation front, but insists the lack of progress isn’t a concern.
A Calder nominee in 2011-12, Henrique suffered through a bit of a sophomore slump in 2013.
His points-per-game average dipped to 0.38 (he posted 0.69 in his rookie year, when he scored 51 points in 74 games). He still managed to finished tied for third on the team in goals (11) and average a career-high 18:19 TOI per game, so it’s not as if he fell off a cliff production-wise.
If anything, the delay in reaching a new deal goes beyond his relationship with the Devils organization and GM Lou Lamoriello.
Across the NHL, clubs are dragging their feet in signing RFAs, preferring to take their time after a busy start to the offseason.
St. Louis still hasn’t reached an agreement with Alex Pietrangelo, nor has Buffalo with Cody Hodgson. The Coyotes still need to reach a deal with Mikkel Boedker, as do the Rangers with Derek Stepan. Other key unsigned RFAs include Kyle Clifford (Los Angeles), Marcus Johansson (Washington), Jared Cowen (Ottawa) and, as mentioned in our comments section, Nazem Kadri and Cody Franson (Toronto).
So it’s no surprise Henrique is relaxed about the situation — so much so that he hasn’t even checked in with his agent about the state of negotiations.
“There’s nothing really holding it up. It’s a matter of time,” he explained. “We want to make sure we get the best deal for both sides.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)