Aug 1, 2013, 11:43 AM EDT
Teemu Selanne is old. (For the NHL…not for the earth.) So Ducks general manager Bob Murray wants to know that the 43-year-old forward is totally committed to playing hockey before a contract for the 2013-14 season is agreed upon.
“I want Teemu to play if he’s 100-percent sure he wants to play,” Murray told NHL.com. “If he’s not sure, if he’s not feeling — when you get to that age, he’s got to want it bad. If he’s sure he wants it bad, then we’ll make it work, whatever I have to do. The only answer I need is he’s 100-percent sure he wants to play. That’s the only answer I need. I told him that the other day. I don’t care when he tells me. We’ll find a way. We’ve got lots of cap space, we have enough contracts.”
Selanne had 24 points in 46 games in 2013; however, it’s worth noting that his ice time was limited to just 14 minutes per game in the playoffs.
Does he have another season left in him? To date, he hasn’t tipped his hand one way or the other.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)