Aug 1, 2013, 11:43 AM EDT
Teemu Selanne is old. (For the NHL…not for the earth.) So Ducks general manager Bob Murray wants to know that the 43-year-old forward is totally committed to playing hockey before a contract for the 2013-14 season is agreed upon.
“I want Teemu to play if he’s 100-percent sure he wants to play,” Murray told NHL.com. “If he’s not sure, if he’s not feeling — when you get to that age, he’s got to want it bad. If he’s sure he wants it bad, then we’ll make it work, whatever I have to do. The only answer I need is he’s 100-percent sure he wants to play. That’s the only answer I need. I told him that the other day. I don’t care when he tells me. We’ll find a way. We’ve got lots of cap space, we have enough contracts.”
Selanne had 24 points in 46 games in 2013; however, it’s worth noting that his ice time was limited to just 14 minutes per game in the playoffs.
Does he have another season left in him? To date, he hasn’t tipped his hand one way or the other.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 23
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)