Aug 1, 2013, 11:43 AM EDT
Teemu Selanne is old. (For the NHL…not for the earth.) So Ducks general manager Bob Murray wants to know that the 43-year-old forward is totally committed to playing hockey before a contract for the 2013-14 season is agreed upon.
“I want Teemu to play if he’s 100-percent sure he wants to play,” Murray told NHL.com. “If he’s not sure, if he’s not feeling — when you get to that age, he’s got to want it bad. If he’s sure he wants it bad, then we’ll make it work, whatever I have to do. The only answer I need is he’s 100-percent sure he wants to play. That’s the only answer I need. I told him that the other day. I don’t care when he tells me. We’ll find a way. We’ve got lots of cap space, we have enough contracts.”
Selanne had 24 points in 46 games in 2013; however, it’s worth noting that his ice time was limited to just 14 minutes per game in the playoffs.
Does he have another season left in him? To date, he hasn’t tipped his hand one way or the other.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 2
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 5
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 38
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)