Aug 1, 2013, 11:43 AM EDT
Teemu Selanne is old. (For the NHL…not for the earth.) So Ducks general manager Bob Murray wants to know that the 43-year-old forward is totally committed to playing hockey before a contract for the 2013-14 season is agreed upon.
“I want Teemu to play if he’s 100-percent sure he wants to play,” Murray told NHL.com. “If he’s not sure, if he’s not feeling — when you get to that age, he’s got to want it bad. If he’s sure he wants it bad, then we’ll make it work, whatever I have to do. The only answer I need is he’s 100-percent sure he wants to play. That’s the only answer I need. I told him that the other day. I don’t care when he tells me. We’ll find a way. We’ve got lots of cap space, we have enough contracts.”
Selanne had 24 points in 46 games in 2013; however, it’s worth noting that his ice time was limited to just 14 minutes per game in the playoffs.
Does he have another season left in him? To date, he hasn’t tipped his hand one way or the other.
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 0
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 24
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 18
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)