Aug 1, 2013, 11:43 AM EDT
Teemu Selanne is old. (For the NHL…not for the earth.) So Ducks general manager Bob Murray wants to know that the 43-year-old forward is totally committed to playing hockey before a contract for the 2013-14 season is agreed upon.
“I want Teemu to play if he’s 100-percent sure he wants to play,” Murray told NHL.com. “If he’s not sure, if he’s not feeling — when you get to that age, he’s got to want it bad. If he’s sure he wants it bad, then we’ll make it work, whatever I have to do. The only answer I need is he’s 100-percent sure he wants to play. That’s the only answer I need. I told him that the other day. I don’t care when he tells me. We’ll find a way. We’ve got lots of cap space, we have enough contracts.”
Selanne had 24 points in 46 games in 2013; however, it’s worth noting that his ice time was limited to just 14 minutes per game in the playoffs.
Does he have another season left in him? To date, he hasn’t tipped his hand one way or the other.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)